Where do I start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I have decided to build a small bike shed type structure to protect my bike (as in motorbike) from the elements.

I thought about laying a base of 600 x 600 paving slabs on a grassed area against the back fence and then building a small timber frames structure (aprox 1m x 3m x 1.3m) and cover the outside front and sides and roof with corrugated sheets and line the inside to make water resistant. The structure would be open at the back and bottom so I could slide over the bike and padlock to two concrete posts.

But this would cost more than I have available. £200 top wack available :(

can anyone suggest a cheep alternative design that would offer protection from wind and rain and also be strong enough to deter the chance motorbike thief?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi Gregers. I took that approach first off. Nothing in any ad including online auction sites and trade-it etc came up with anything. that is why I decided to look at constructing something.

Hello bristolpaul. You'll end up making the framework out of wood. Takes longer but wood captured from skips will allow money 2 B spent on the sides and roof material, be it plastic corrugated, shiplap or whatever.

Sponsored Links
If you keep an eye out here,
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/box-profile-cladding-for-sale/1042227095
this cladding is to far away for you, but try in your own area.

Be careful with timber frame, as things can get heavy. Might I suggest you have one of the long sides (3M) hinged, (on the top edge) so that you don't have to pull the cover over the whole length of the bike. Only sort of pull it over the bike from one side and close down the side door?

Local salvage yards, you can always paint secondhand sheeting/cladding.

Hope this helps ..............

OK so if I go for an 8' x 6' wooden shed, what is the cheapest foundation option. Do I lay a concrete 8'x6' platform? If so, how thick will this need to be? And what sort of cost will this be? Or is there another option?

You just need something solid to raise the floor off the ground and stop it from rotting, you could lay a base of paving slabs, or large wooden bearers (like railway sleepers), or breeze block "piers", all with a damp proof course of some sort between it and the shed floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back