where does it go replacing cast iron soil stack ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cast iron soil stack - it runs internally (boxed in) and I would like to replace it with an external one - 2 probs
1) When it disappears into the ground inside the house - I have no idea where it goes - should not there be an inspection chamber outside ?
I'm in a block of three and one has a manhole cover in the front garden and the other has one in the back(logical as the bathrooms on 1st are at the front of house and the other at back) - I have paced about in the front garden but can't find any sign...
I'm told I can get plans from United Utilities for 65 pounds !

2) If I leave the wc where it is - there is no room on the external wall to run pipe as previous owners built a upvc porch adjacent the window with no wall space between

3) I would get a plumber to do this - but I guess it would be a bit steep
any ideas welcome thanks

Sponsored Links
Chances are it goes through the wall with a long radius bend, so you should be able to find it directly outside the line of the stack.

Do remember you will need planning consent to stick it outside.

changing a stack is a major plumbing job and should really only be done if you HAVE to, i would consider every layout option and variable before i moved a stack

Sponsored Links
I have a cast iron soil stack - it runs internally (boxed in) and I would like to replace it with an external one - 2 probs
1) When it disappears into the ground inside the house - I have no idea where it goes - should not there be an inspection chamber outside ?
I'm in a block of three and one has a manhole cover in the front garden and the other has one in the back(logical as the bathrooms on 1st are at the front of house and the other at back) - I have paced about in the front garden but can't find any sign...
I'm told I can get plans from United Utilities for 65 pounds !

2) If I leave the wc where it is - there is no room on the external wall to run pipe as previous owners built a upvc porch adjacent the window with no wall space between

3) I would get a plumber to do this - but I guess it would be a bit steep
any ideas welcome thanks

Probably internal for a reason. If you are sharing your soil with other properties you need proper advice from the owner of the whole properties unless that is you & then some. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back