WHere is the threshold strip supposed to go?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to replace some laminate flooring which is continuous through a doorway, with vinyl on one side and carpet on the other. Where would the join normally go? Is it conventional for the threshold strip to lie directly below the door, so it's basically hidden when the door is closed? I can't remember how I've seen it in other people's houses!

Sponsored Links
Yes should always be under the door. You should never see the other floor covering from other room when door is shut.

As above .
Butt the threshold transition piece into the door frame stops.

OK thanks. That means I need to ensure the vinyl (and ply subfloor) extend very slightly under the door. Some nibbly ply cutting for me.
doorknob1.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have 2 choices - Narrow threshold strip which just goes underneath the door as commented on above.
The second choice is to have a threshold strip which is the full width of the door casing - depending on how the new floor coverings are pattened or finish that may be a better choice for you.
The Threshold strip should finish the same thickness (height off the floor) as the carpet and underlay. That you may not yet know - 5/8inch is a good starter...

W

OP,
Stick with the 40mm to 50mm wide transitions - the wider pieces or custom made thresholds are not needed for carpet to vinyl.

Your diagram is wrong - the red vinyl should have stopped at the reveal: you have taken it beyond. The green carpet should go up to the transition - the transition strip is butted up to the door stop.
It can be a stuck or planted stop but you butt the transition strip up to it.
The door will close over it as described by dazlight above.

Running the vinyl past the stop is no big deal because its thin vinyl, and the transition could sit on it & butt up to the stop.
But I always try to have the "meeting line" at the reveal in your sketch.

There are variations for different materials and reducers/adaptors/transitions & customised thresholds available but you have a straightforward job.

OP,
Your diagram is wrong - the red vinyl should have stopped at the reveal: you have taken it beyond. The green carpet should go up to the transition - the transition strip is butted up to the door stop.
OK that's definitely simpler. I thought the transition strip would have to sit on top of the edge of the vinyl (and carpet), to stop it from peeling up...

I didn't explain myself very well above.
Its best for the vinyl to go under the edge of the strip so that the raw edge i covered.

Note that the jambs and stops are typically undercut to allow the flooring materials, such as vinyl or laminate, to be slipped under the jamb/stop and covered.

Note that the jambs and stops are typically undercut to allow the flooring materials, such as vinyl or laminate, to be slipped under the jamb/stop and covered.
Hmm, maybe in new houses. Not in old ones.

Again, perhaps I didn't explain myself clearly enough.
The floor fitter is the one, in new or old property, who cuts the jambs - they dont come cut that way from the fixing joiner.

Its a common practice - otherwise you have to scribe the material and leave it with an expansion gap.
Professional floor fitters undercut, why would they make work for themselves by not undercutting?

But wouldn't that mean also undercutting all the skirting board too? Vinyl needs an expansion gap?

No, skirting is lifted and placed back over the flooring edge & the expansion gap. Although I have seen skirting undercut for laminate and solid woods instead of lifting the skirting above the raised FFL.
There can be consequences.

If the skirting is left in position then a scotia bead is typically used as a cover in lieu of skirting.

Some fitters do cut corners and stop vinyl at the skirting but its a bad practice that first class work wont tolerate.
Vinyl is, of course, laid and fixed in a number of ways - fully stuck down sheets have very little movement.
No matter, as above, the jambs are undercut for slipping flooring material underneath.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back