Where to start on becoming a handy man

You could contact local charities and see if you can help them out. I support a local hedgehog rescue by making nest boxes for them from offcuts and reclaimed timber and in the near future I'll be building a hedgehog hospital (glorified shed) for them.

Sponsored Links
OP - Antz, where are you from?

This is something i would love to do but depend on my monthly salary far too much to make this happen, i guess if i was ever made redundant then this is a path i would certainly consider but as others have said i would certainly be focusing on one trade or at a push two and maybe promote that i can dabble in other areas, you ideally need somthing that you excell in that you can master then perhaps brush up on the next trade.

It must be something in the age! i am also 28 and having the same rocky career change wobble

Start by offering a pair of hands to friends and family.

When they move, help with the plumbing in, the wardrobes, flat packs, decorating, deep cleaning. When they have a project, be noisy- see how it's being done. Take on basic stuff pre trades such as preparing areas, emptying rooms, ripping out old furniture, bathrooms, kitchens.

Don't reach for the skies day one, know your limits.

Build you skills from doing straight forward stuff, learn what your weaknesses are and check out adult education courses (plastering, wood work, tiling etc) to address them.

You could trawl local adverts and see if any handyman, roofers, builders, decorators need a 'boy' and offer yourself as another pair of hands. Your more likely to get work from trade if you are available at short notice, can listen, are happy for modest pay (on the understanding you are on job learning), keen and most importantly bring value to the job.

Sponsored Links
I am from south London. The helping with plumbing in washing machine,s putting up wardrobes, flat pack furniture, decorating i can do Thanks all for the information cause I am going to use it all. I am looking at college courses on weekends to brush up on DIY skills and thinking to turn my flat into a place to practice my craft and ask friends and family for help with odd jobs and take pictures as proof of my work. An contact handymen and volunteering organisations to ask them if i can offer my services.

With all due respect, you sound like a joey at the moment. A busy fool so to speak.

Handyman rates are at the low end of the spectrum so you'll be that busy earning you'll have no time to spend. Any profits you do make will pay for damaged properties that will more than likely occur.

Good luck with your quest.

Back