Which Drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, i want a new drill and am considering either of these 2

Thev ryobi cdi 1803 18v and a makita 8434 mxt 14.4v.

i already own batts and chargers for both these drills and would like an opinion on which you guys would choose.
i haven't made my mind up yet but am slightly leaning towards the makita ( just cos it's a makita though).

heres the links from ryobi £80

http://www.ryobitools.co.uk/oneplus/index.htm

and a link from ebay for the makita

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Makita-8434-D...3QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20777QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
If you've already got the batts then Makita would be first choice, but it's only a 14v. The Ryobi looks decent enough though, review here. It all comes down to durability vs features, or to to put it another way, what will you be using it for?

I've got the 18v version of the Makita and it's the best tool I've bought. Notch up another vote for Makita.

the drill is not gonna be used professionally but i just want a cordless combi drill that's good quality, reliable , and powerful enough to drill through masonary and wood. i already have a decent sds hammer / chisel drill for bigger stuff so this is just for multi purpose stuff around the house as i am completely renovating it, as in moving walls and stuff.

The review of the ryobi drill seems good.

the thing that holds me off me diving in for the makita drill is that it's only 14 volt but it does seem comparable in spec to the ryobi :unsure: .

anyone here used either of these 2 drills ?.

i would love the 18v makita mxt but that is gonna be 2 expensive cos i'll need the charger/ batts.

Sponsored Links
It has got to be the makita aldo only 14v ,the batteries ,damn I might as well say it the whole kit will last longer than a ryobi ,plus it is smaller and lighter (this only my personal oppinion just in case ryobi employ hitmen)

I've been using a Ryobi for about 18 months - can't fault it.

Tis the truth and I've given it some stupidly tough tasks to perform.

makitaman said:
There is no comparison the Makita will last you for years.

Then why do they have the same guarantee as a B&Q cheap as chips drill?

go for the makita. I've had 2 ryobi 18v for over a year, in that time one has packed up completely, one has been sent back to be fixed and returned with forward/reverse the wrong way round....having said that, I am using these for my job so are getting a battering all day everyday, batteries constantly on charge etc, maybe they'd be ok for lighter duties.

I would still go for a makita though, if you're expecting great things from the hammer function on a combi though forget it, they're ok for thermalite but pretty hard work in anything more demanding

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back