Which fixing for fitting shower enclosure when there's no stud behind?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting a frameless shower enclosure with two hinged doors on a new bathroom, which has been tiled onto 12mm hardiebacker with 90mm celotex insulation between studs (exterior wall) behind the hardiebacker.

Unfortunately I forgot to put a stud behind one of the sides where the two shower enclosure u channels sit, and now stuck on which fixing to use to secure this channel.

I was planning to try toggle fixings but don't think the toggle will open as the celotex will block it once it's in. I tried drilling a 14mm hole for a toggle fixing and making some space for the toggle to open behind the hardiebacker, by chipping the celotex away with the short side of an alley key through the hole, but no luck at all.

I don't want to use plastic plugs as don't think they'll be strong enough. Will be using silicone along the channel either way but want a secure mechanical fixing too.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Can’t you just fix it into the brick wall with longer screws ?

Can't see why the allen key wouldn't work - did you stick it in your drill?

Sponsored Links
Sfx, think we are thinking similar!

Jamie, mechanical fixings are only as god as what they are holding on to. Maybe if there’s enough clearance try thunder screws / Torx. No plug needed and goes directly into brick you can get quite long lengths… a lot of window companies use them
For doors and windows

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back