which grout?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am now ready to grout my tiles in the bathroom having removed all the old grout. Can anyone advise which type of grout is best. All the DIY shops seem to stock tile grout and adhesive in one pot. I have bought Unibond mix yourself stuff but which is really the best?

Sponsored Links
Powdered grout is better than the premixed combined adhesive/grout. I always use BAL grouts, there are several depending on the circumstances - dry area, wet area, powershower, wide joints etc.

Jason

Don't do what I did and use white grout for floor tiles... The wife made me do it because she saw it somewhere and said it looked nice.

It did not stay white for long.

Don't use ready made grout from a shop, it's rubbish and only lasts a year or so. Get Bal, Ardex or Howtex, even Nicobond from a good tiling shop. These are all powder grouts to be mixed with water, get it to a good working paste. The guys in the shop can sell you the tools for putting it on the wall. A fiver or so. Use a spounge to take the excess grout off, then buff up, sorted!!!

Sponsored Links
Jasonb said:
I always use BAL grouts,

I used BAL grout on the recommendation of the plumber who fitted my bathroom. It was absolute crap. Soft and powdery.... I could rub it away with my finger. I now need to know what to replace it with. See my post a week or so ago.

bobb said:
Jasonb said:
I always use BAL grouts,

I used BAL grout on the recommendation of the plumber who fitted my bathroom. It was absolute rubbish. Soft and powdery
Sounds like too much water ????

Or it had been sitting about for a long time, or you added water to it after it was mixed and starting to go off.

Jason

not too much water or hanging around too long.

stiff paste and done in small batches to prevent going off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back