Which is live wire?

"Electrical equipment shall be installed in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the equipment."

Are you disputing that?

And recently

Your red should be permanently live and go to wavy line/arrow terminal and black to L2.

From the varilight website.

Remove your old switch and copy the wiring configuration for the dimmerswitch. The wires from your old switch
can be connected either way round to the "C" and "L1" terminals of the dimmerswitch.

OR

In 1-way lighting circuits the light(s) are controlled by one switch. This dimmer should replace that switch. The live wire must be connected to the
terminal marked "Live↓" and the "load" wire to the terminal marked " ".

GUARANTEE
Important: In case of any defect return the dimmer to our service department. This guarantee is in addition to and not in derogation of the statutory
rights of the purchaser and is offered so that you may have the benefit of our technical facilities. Should any defect occur in this unit within 12 months
of its purchase we will replace or repair the defective unit free of charge provided that:-
a) The unit has been correctly fitted according to the instructions

Sponsored Links
Anybody got any more popcorn? I've run out.... ;)

Your old school like me, your not a lot of help, do you use MK much :)

Used to in eighties & very early nineties. By the time Logic+ had come out, we'd moved away from it.

There were some fairly good "Old MK" copies around and our clients at the time preferred this to the new-fangled Logic+.

You should also note that when using the 2 way conversion method there is only one correct way of connecting the live and switchline, very important to get it correct.
True, but is it not also equally true with any method of 2-way switching (i.e. using all three terminals of a SPDT switch)? Even when using such a switch for 1-way switching one has to be careful to use the right pair of terminals (although 'which is used for which conductor' doesn't matter). Most of the discussion in this thread has been about 'which way round' to use 2-terminal switches - which, in electrical terms, obviously doesn't matter.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
You should also note that when using the 2 way conversion method there is only one correct way of connecting the live and switchline, very important to get it correct.
What do you mean by "one correct way" exactly?

Feed and switch line must go to L1 & L2 with that method, but it doesn't matter which way round, it will work perfectly well either way.

The travelers connecting L1 & L2 from that switch to L1 & L2 at the other switch can also be connected either way round (L1-L1 & L2-L2 or L1-L2 & L2-L1) and it will still work, the only difference being in which way the switches have to be relative to each other for the light to be on or off (i.e. light on with both switches up or both down versus light on with one switch up and the other down).

P.S. Or was your comment somewhat tongue in cheek?

Feed and switch line must go to L1 & L2 with that method, but it doesn't matter which way round, it will work perfectly well either way.
Quite. I assumed that his comment was a serious one, and that he was saying that it was important to connect the right thing to the 'rotor' terminal of the switch and the right things (either way around, if one doesn't care about switch positions) to the two 'stator' terminals. As I responded, that's obviously true of any situation in which one is using all three terminals of a SPDT switch.

It's because of this that I'm a little uneasy about the emerging L1/L2/L3 labelling - since it is not immediately obvious (at least, not to me!) which is the 'rotor'.

Kind Regards, John.

It's because of this that I'm a little uneasy about the emerging L1/L2/L3 labelling - since it is not immediately obvious (at least, not to me!) which is the 'rotor'.

Ditto for me. It seems a retrograde and pointless step to replace a system which makes it obvious which is the common switch terminal with one which makes it ambiguous.

Ditto for me. It seems a retrograde and pointless step to replace a system which makes it obvious which is the common switch terminal with one which makes it ambiguous.
Quite. I've only come across a very small number of these L1/L2/L3 jobs so far, but confess that I have always reached for a multimeter before being confident about wiring them - which is a position I should not really be put in!

Kind Regards, John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back