Which type of boiler to install?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm renovating and extending an old brick built house. It is presently gutted, ie all plaster, joists, rafters removed, the plan is for underfloor heating in one room, 13 or so radiators, 1 family bathroom, one en-suite and a downstairs cloakroom. It is a blank canvas as far as plumbing is concerned, so before I start getting quotes I would like to have an idea of what I want. Do I need a convecting boiler? Is there a preferred type of underfloor heating? Any comments much appreciated, Cheers, John.

Sponsored Links
Is this a "Property Ladder" type renovation or are you intending to live in it yourself for a reasonable time?

If the former - just as Sarah Beeney's advice; then ignore it like all the others do :!:

Are you sure there will only ever be one bathroom? A modern combi can supply that, but is limited on the amount of hot tap water it can deliver.

so if you were likely to have people in the house trying to run the kitchen hot tap and/or a bath and/or a shower at the same time, the answer would be different.

Do I need a convecting boiler? Is there a preferred type of underfloor heating? Any comments much appreciated, Cheers, John.

John, have you been to any of these Homebuilding and Renovating Shows? They're on throughout the year in various locations. I went to one earlier in the year and they really are a brilliant source of info. But, to be specific, will you be putting down wooden floors? Broadleaf Timber in Bath recommends Nu-heat underfloor heating for all its solid wood floors: http://www.nu-heat.co.uk/

If you contact Nu-heat, they'll send you lots of literature but if you ask, they'll probably send you a free ticket facility for the Renovating shows.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies, We will stay a while, but not forever. Maybe a couple of years. I don't think there are likely to be more bathrooms. Cheers, John.

do a search on the subject and you will find war of epic proportions, combi vs cylinder

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back