Whirlpool bath advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. I have just fitted a new whirlpool bath, all gone to plan so far.
An electrician will be connecting up the pump etc but I want to do some prep for it.
The bath pump will be on a fcu/rcd outside the bathroom.

Question is, the old metal bath had no bonding to taps and pipes & the rest of the bathroom (rad/toilet and basin pipes are also not bonded).So does it need bonding now?? - The bath will be largely boxed in, so want to get the earth/straps in place if needed.

The house is quite old but does have an rcd back at consumer unit.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There is no yes or no answer.

It depends on the installation and how it is fitted.

The electrician is the only person to ask as the pipes will have to be tested to determine whether bonding is required - or not.

An electrician will be connecting up the pump etc but I want to do some prep for it.
Contact the electrician, ask his advice, and agree what prep you can do.

The bath will be largely boxed in, so want to get the earth/straps in place if needed.
Don't do any boxing in until the electrician has finished.

If supplementary bonding is required then those "straps" will need to be accessible and not completely enclosed/boxed in.

It is quite common for this bonding to be done on pipework in an adjacent area (airing cupboard etc) but your electrician can advise you.

Sponsored Links
As Taylortwocities has stated the earth/bonding clamps will need to be accessible for inspection, testing and any remedial work, so bonding is often done in a nearby location that will allow for accessibility. Or it could be a case that your pipework does not require bonding, but that would be down to an on-site assessment and some testing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back