Whirlpool oven fan motor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Needing a replacement fan motor for my whirlpool oven, which blew up the other day.
Called Whirlpool spares and they quoted 40 pounds!!
Can anyone advise where I might get a cheaper one? second-hand would be preferable.
40 pounds for a simple induction motor seems pretty rich when I can buy a CD burner for 16 pounds!

Sponsored Links
I can bye a mars bar for 30 p so what?

a cd burner is not an induction motor is it

What I meant was, a CD unit has far more complexity & design and is mass-produced in a similar fashion.

similar fashion is as maybe, similar quantity, no, hence the price, in the time it has taken to reply you could have got and fitted the new one

Sponsored Links
Recent experience with a Neff oven would seem to indicate that £40 is a reasonable deal.

Make sure you don't use any oven spray near it (if you use that sort of thing).

Bear in mind that your CD drive doesn't have to work at 230deg C.

Beginning to agree with you both.... I hoiked an operational fan unit out of a junked Creda oven at the local tip yesterday. Slightly different motor, but very similar pattern (Creda one was 32W whereas mine was 25W, also different mounting centres). Anyway, I modified the mounting to fit mine, and fitted it. Flashed up the oven. Rattles quite a bit, but fan spinning freely.
However!
When I switch the oven off at the control panel, (the oven is computer-controlled) then the fan carries on turning at very slow speed, with an audible mains hum. I have to switch off at the isolator to stop this. If I leave the supply off for 30 mins then restart, the fan has stopped by now. (presume the PSU cap's in the oven leak away & causes a full reboot of oven computer)

I'm very perplexed at the slow-speed fan business. Also, I can't see how fitting the correct part would cure this!

anyone had similar experiences?

away now to measure voltages. please send help if no postings within 48hrs!

170-ish Volts AC steady across motor when doing its slow-speed thing...
Earth between motor and oven chassis good.

Does this mean the controller is goosed? any comments vy much appreciated!

why not take the motor out of a hp t drier, its an induction motor, or how about take one from a vacuum cleaner, i am sure you can make it fit, specially if you hit it with a big 'ammer

Point is, its not the right part so it wont work "properly" will it :!: :!:

SparkyTris
Beginning to agree with you both.... I hoiked an operational fan unit out of a junked Creda oven at the local tip yesterday. Slightly different motor, but very similar pattern (Creda one was 32W whereas mine was 25W, also different mounting centres). Anyway, I modified the mounting to fit mine, and fitted it. Flashed up the oven. Rattles quite a bit, but fan spinning freely.
When your oven was new it conformed to BSxxx, When it broke it didnt, when you replaced the fan IT STILL DIDNT, if your oven when new didnt perform correctly you would no doubt have complained. You may well have an oven with a fan going & have saved £40. But there is saving £££ & saving money. I think you have done a bodge. (Dont normaly have this attitude but been reading a few earlier post of today & I think its rubbing off). :evil:

Without question it's a bodge. But it would have been a good bodge if it had worked!

Anyhow, I've bitten the bullet and ordered the whirlpool spare part.

The problem with the oven was traced to a faulty main control board. (whirlpool call this the Capricorn board)

A new board was installed, and in conjunction with the replaced fan unit, the oven worked correctly.

More interestingly, though:
The new board came with an installation note advising the service tech to cut certain resistors on the board according to a code printed on the oven unit. None of the resistor-cut combinations indicated a "don't cut any resistors" situation. By that I mean that in a properly installed board, at least one resistor should always be cut (according to installation note).

In the faulty board that came out of my oven, none of the resistors were cut. (!)

for anyone that's still awake/interested, problem history was this:

1)fan motor failed catastrophically, tripped MCB, much smoke.
2)replaced fan motor. fan now OK when oven cooking but with oven in "idle" state, dangerous buzz coming from motor, motor turning vy slowly & getting hot.
3) replaced "capricorn" board - now all OK, no alarming buzz noises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back