Whistling Boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having problems with a whistling sound coming from my boiler, shortly after the burner ignites in the morning, and now in the evenings as well. I have a Powermax 140 Open Vent model.

It started with a leak, that ruined most of my hallway - I took the cover off and tightened a screwthread where it was dripping, the flow switch according to my manual. This seemed to stop the leak, and my paintwork certainly isn't getting any wetter. I called a plumber to be safe, and upon switching the boiler on, the whistling started for the first time. He put some sealing tape around the air inlet pipe, and this coincided with the whistling stopping, so he and I felt job done.

However it is now doing it almost every day, and I can't find out where the noise is coming from or why. I have resorted to wrapping towels round various pipes, thinking air might be escaping from somewhere, but to no avail. After about 20 minutes of whistling, it gradually dies down and then stops - hot water and central heating are all ok, I have tried bleeding radiators to see if there is air in the system, but to be honest, I don't really know what I'm doing. Can anybody help?

Sponsored Links
When was it last serviced, as in properly with the thing to bits and cleaned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back