Whole house newly plastered what undercoat should i use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have just had my house fully replastered. im in the process of sanding it down and need to buy paint. I was planning to use a cheap trade matt emulsion as an undercoat and then use one or two coats of a quality dulux paint as my final coat. I came across some crown matt emulsion at a local store and was going to buy 150l tomorrow. Would this paint be suitable as an undercoat/miscoat? what do i have to do to use this as an undercoat (does it require thinning? how much and with what?). How should i go about it from here? Thanks

Sponsored Links
DONT SAND THE WALLS!!!!!

You will scratch em to bits...just give em a light scrape over..this mist em..you can sand them afterwards if they need it and it will reduce the chance of scratching them.

Dont buy the real cheap crap..its a flase economy,

What you use deepends on the thickness of the plaster...if its really deep youll need non vinyl emulsion for all coats to allow any trapped moisture out.

If its just a skim then you can use vinyl matt...thin it down by about 25%

Always thin it down for the first one..it penetrates the surface and bonds to it..otherwise it will just sit there, wainting to flake off.

Dont bother with the one coat paints...they are hard work

Thanks for your advice.
Bit late i sanded the whole house down lightly with 180G sandpaper and im now in the process of wiping it all down and filling in any small imperfection. i have also bought the 150L of Crown matt emulsion today as the vouchers i had expired today. Each tin is 5L of water based matt. Im pretty sure its a vinyl paint. Do i thin it down with water or a solvent. Can this be salvaged. My walls dont appear scratched. Even if they are scratched wont the undercoat and 2 layers of final coat cover this. cheers

P.s the walls are newly skimed on top of a coat of bonding. There are no plasterboard underneath them

Sponsored Links
Hmm..

OK..you thin the emulsion down with water..not solvent.

If we play this by the book then you really should use non vinyl emulsion..but if you happy the walls are dry enough you should be ok,,

Its easier to fill any imperfections in the surface after the mist coat has been done for two reasons..

One is youll see more once the mist coat has gone on and two...you wont risk damaging the wall when rubbing the filler down.

Is the emulsion you have called 'covermatt' by any chance?

Hi , no the emulsion is called Brillliant white Matt emulsion. I thought i needed to buy something to undercoat the house, the undercoats are bit too expensive so i was going to buy a hombase own brand value matt emulsion at 9 pounds for 10L. I happen to come across crown matt emulsion at 10 pounds for 2 5L tins and guessed that this is a better quality paint than the homebase own brand. The walls have been plastered a few months ago, 95% of them are pinkish but due to a few pointing issues at the property a few (2) are still a bit wet. I plan to use a 'emusion for new plaster' paint for these areas. Hopefully they will dry out by the time the central heating is plumkbed in. Once again thanks for all your advice its much appreciated

The 'emulsion for new plaster' is ordinary non vinyl emulsion..dont bother it..got yourself to a trade centre and ask for their contract emulsion..its cheaper.

Zampa is bang on in his advice.

Go and buy Dulux Trade Supermatt. TO BE SAFE.

You are advised to prime all new plasterwork with an ARP...alkaline resistant primer, before painting.

Also, as long as you use a matt paint and not a silk or sheen paint, you will not need to water it down as the extra water dampens the new plaster and can break it down before it has chance to harden properly.

Que :?: My family were decorating for 20 years before ARPs were walking round in the blitz and continued in the trade until the 1980`s . I`ve never heard that one before - in fact there is probably more paint pulled off in sheets from being applied undiluted to new plaster than was removed by the Luftwaffe :LOL:

Never ever apply alkali resisting primer to new plaster, that is not what it is intended for. Mist coat with trade contract emulsion, allow to dry, then apply two coats of vinyl matt/silk, job done.

Just do as you are told, cover all new plaster with a mist coat of diluted matt emulsion,when it is dry you will see any inperfections in plaster THEN you deal with them,fill where nessasary wait till dry give a light sand ony, (because you have put filler on properly and not dirty great lumps all over), THEN mist coat again on filled patch .Wait till all dry, then 2 coats off your final choice off finish. job done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back