whole house water filter system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

can someone please provide a recommendation for this.

I would prefer if it wasn't too bulky and wants something which will provide nice drinking water and also avoid water smears in shower, etc.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
A water filter is not the same thing as a water softener. You need to reduce the water hardness to avoid limescale in the shower which leaves marks on the glass.

You can fit a water filter local to one of the taps if you want filtered drinking water.

Thanks @aptsys. So, should I install a water softener to the main pipe that feeds the entire house and then a water filter to the pipe that supplies drinking water? Is this the proper way of doing it?
Also, what do you recommend by way of kit? Would I need an in-line water filter for this type of configuration?

Thanks again and I am trying to get enough info to do this properly.

Normally you would fit a water filter such that it supplies the whole house except the kitchen cold tap and the outside tap. Depending on where the water enters your property this may or may not be straightforward. Then you can fit an inline filter at the outlet that you'd like drinking water from.

Everyone I know has had good results with Monarch water softeners. I don't know about any other brands.

Sponsored Links
The best setup is an unsoftened, filtered drinking water tap, and softened water to the rest of the house. I recommend the Harvey Dualflo twin-cylinder non-electric block salt water softener, and the last one I fitted, I supplied with a Bristan Artisan Pure mixer tap which provided both unsoftened filtered water and softened water from the same tap

Thanks guys and what do you recommend by way of water filter for the main drinking tap? Also, would it be okay to install this water filter a couple of metres away from the actual tap? I would prefer to install in the garage where the cold pipe is running rather than under the sink but am conscious that the filtered water will go through another metre or so of copper pipe before it is dispensed at the tap. Is this counter productive?

Guys, does it make sense to put the water filter after this liquid softener? The water filter is primarily for my drinking tap but it isn't as simple as that as the pipe run that I intend to install it on also feeds the washing machine and dishwasher. I appreciate that the filter will be used more than it would if it was just for the drinking water tap but I am more interested in whether its the liquid softener first or the filter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back