why did i diy floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I am at my wits end. I have brought cheap laminate floor (value pack) from a well known Diy store. I want to laminate my hall and front room.
I have all the underlay, cork expansion strips, saw and a lot more that the sales assistant reccommended.
I have been trying for ages trying to fit the planks together (as I did say I brought the cheapest) I am supposed to slide the planks together but they get stuck half way and when use force with the reccommeded kit they just slide apart and the planks chip at the ends. When I try to just push the planks together there is a gap and no matter what strength I have they will not stay together. I't bringing me to tears as I have so much to do. Any ideas of what to do or what I am doing wrong. I don't think I can even sell them on ebay.

Need help thanks.
:cry:

Sponsored Links
If this store has a lot of orange in it's logo, then i bought the same stuff and had the same problem as you. Would not go together without any gaps. Luckily it was a small area so I ripped it up and replaced with good quality stuff.
Take it back and get better quality laminates.

I bought the stuff from 'orange logo', cant remember what price I bought but it wasnt expensive.
I had no problem fitting it I was pleased, but you dont slide it you lay the board at angle length ways (about 45degrees).
Have you read the instructions, try it on a short lenght....NOT BY SLIDDING IT.

Sponsored Links
Hi there,
I tried to put the planks together at an angle but there are still gaps. The only way to avoid gaps was to slide the wood. I won't be doing that again. I don't think I can take the planks back as I had to cut one to fit my front door. Is there any other logical or easier way that may resolve this problem?

it is a shame that this has happened, but you do get what you pay for.
being inexpensive should not render the product diy un-friendly. the to$$ers that sold it are to blame.

it is quite common for inexpensive materials to be very difficult to fit. this is true with all building products and not just flooring. :(

i had a similar problem doing a bit of laminate for the ex.got over it by sanding the tounge down a little

laminates can be a real pain. Not only the cheaper ones but expensive ones too. You always have to make sure the the snap together tongue and groove are clear of dust debris etc. If your floor is very uneven this can also cause a problem when tryin to fix them together. ask youself if it is only happening in certain areas of the room. perhaps the floor is uneven in this area. Also, dont be afraid to take back the flooring. Even the ones you have used. They have an obligation to reimburse you if the floor is substandard. I know a guy who had his laminate down for nearly a year and it was full of scratches. As most floors are after this time. He contacted the firm he bought it from and pestered them to till he got the manager out. He got his money back and still kept the floor down!

I have had this prob too. by using a off-cut, about 3inch wide, slide this down the groove/tounges. I found that there is a lot of waste left behind after they mill them out and the tounges sometimes are a little thicker. By doing this it clears waste out but go gently as you will cause more damage. You may have to do it to all boards. Are they the push together and glue or click fit?

hi there again,
I finally fitted my hall, It was a big.... lets say not a nice experience. The planks that did not fit I used a knocking block. (Horror) now I have chipped planks. I tried my hardest not to use too much pressure. Some of the planks chipped even though I had'nt touched them.
When will this nightmare end, I have my front room to do. Can anyone tell me how to fix chipped edges. Please don't tell me to cut the planks and replace them as there are too many.

Thanks

Try the 'Orange boys' for a melamine 'repair' set. It is laminate, so I fear you will always see the repaired bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back