Why is the same memory different?

Kes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to buy two new 256 mb memory cards for my spouse's old Toshiba Satellite S3000-X4 laptop (it only has one 128 mb card and it groans).

The spec is SDRAM SODIMM PC100/133 144 pin CL2 Non-parity Non-ECC 3.3v.

There are hundreds of cards with this spec going reasonably cheaply (£10 ish) on the net. However when I make an enquiry about whether a particular card for sale will fit the Tosh I get the reply that I need this one, apparently identical, for £30+ a time.

What's the difference between the different types of phyically identical memory? Why won't any pair of physically compatible cards fit (and work)? I am confused with this.

Sponsored Links
There will be a difference between brands, but any with the exact spec. you have provided "should" work.

Personally, I prefer a good brand, Corsair, Crucial, OCZ to name but 3.

Safest way I've come across to buy memory is to use the crucial.com's memory advisor (http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/index.aspx).

I usually hate this sort of stuff but it's really good, and if you don't want to use it you can choose your memory types by the hardware it's for (motherboard or even full system).

I think you are also guaranteed compatibility if you use their advisor, although I've never had a problem with them before, and I've used the service 4-5 times. postage if very quick and will fit through most letterboxes too.

Whitling2k

Thanks, I've bought a couple of 256 mb cards from a local shop, standard issue, fitted and powered up a treat.

I still don't understand why you can go to most of these sites and they have the identical spec for £10, but when you query on the specific model you are directed to an apparently identical spec but costing £25+. It's a puzzle, but the old Tosh now has a new lease of life.

Sponsored Links
identical spec but costing £25+. It's a puzzle, but the old Tosh now has a new lease of life.

It depends on whether youre of the mindset that £15 is a worthy price to pay for a guarantee that it will work. I'd probably pay it, because taking an hour out to return memory that should have worked but for some reason doesnt, would be a waste of my life.. Sometimes, it makes sense to pay a premium for the easy life, but glad your memory works and was a bargain! :)

Yes, it's down to component quality and the strength of the guarantee. For an older system, it's worth a punt with cheaper RAM. New high spec. systems would warrant a better quality component.

Back