Will BC let me use an existing external wall in my extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally started demolishing my brick out-house to clear the side for my single storey kitchen extension. Just like the rest of the house it is 9" solid wall.

The outhouse has a wall that is 1" away from the neighbour's house wall. This I hope, with some internal insulation, will be able to form one side of my extension. I'm keen for this as it will save me money, huge effort and avoid having to dig foundations right next to the neighbour's house (1930's with likely shallow foundations).

I've not started digging down yet, but a small test pit is showing the likelyhood of stepped brick foundations. I'll know how deep they go when I get to doing my trench, but it is at least 600mm. Will BC be OK with old school foundations or insist on taking the lot down and putting concrete in? This will be a royal PITA as party wall agreement will have to occur as I bet the neighbour's foundations are not as deep as I need to go.

Sponsored Links
Yes as long as you're not putting any huge loads on a small area, our SE even told us it was fine to use the existing wall to rest a beam, because the wall itself would spread the load. The one we couldn't was the pillar because it was a concentrated load so it would have put too much pressure on the soil.

I doubt it but it will depend on your BCO.

Sponsored Links
What did the approved building regs plans show, surely a cavity wall?

They showed the original wall internally insulated. No mention of current stepped brick foundations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back