Will Central Heating Pipes Freeze in a Modern House?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have recently moved into a house which was built in 1995. The internal walls are plaster board and they are 5.5 inches thick. I have found this out by taking the BT faceplate off the wall and measured the depth of the hole that's there for the incoming phone cable. After the 5.5 inch plaster board there's a gap and then the outer brick wall. There isn't any cavity wall insulation.

All the radiators in the house go directly into the wall/plaster board, none go directly into the floor.

My main concern is: as these pipes go directly into the wall what are the chances of these pipes freezing?

As it's just myself in the house I would prefer to turn some of the radiaotrs off completely. For the radiators that have a thermostat on them I can just leave them on a low setting for the winter months. However, there are some radiators that don't have a thermostat valve. There is one specific radiator that doesn't have a stat on it plus it is stuck in the off position. I am too nervous to try to undo it with a pair of pliers. This radiator is also on an external wall.
With this radiator with the stuck valve I am thinking about getting plumber in to put a stat valve on and then leaving the setting on low, that is if responders to this request for help think it necessary, as in, if there is a very real chance of the radiator pipework in the wall behind this radiator freezing?
I I do get a plumber in I would be grateful if responders could tell me the rough price for this work, that would include labour and parts? Would it involve a call out charge, even though it won't be an emergency?

It appears fair to say the other radiators that don't have a stat valve and which are on internal walls, if I turn these off completely they won't freeze, being inside the house? Would responders agree with this?

To add, I've looked throughout the loft and found no Central Heating pipes present.

With the above, I would be really interested to know if anyone knows how the pipes actually run throughout the houses that have this thick plasterboard? Do the pipes run in the cavity behind the plaster board, or even, is the pipework embedded in the board for a few inches before it then runs under the floor?
Also, if the pipes are running under the house does anyone know if these pipes will be lagged?

I would like to say in advance, many, many thanks for any advice that can be given on this issue for then I can go through the winter months with some peace of mind.

Regards

Paul

Sponsored Links
unless a room is a badly insulated extension [many outside walls]

if the house is in use you are very very unlikely to get a temperature cold enough to freeze unless you have many days and nights below freezing

the problem you will have is un insulated pipes below the floor

In most new build houses, the feed to the radiators drops in 10mm plastic behind the "Dot & Dab" and exits behind the radiator then to the rad valves.

Plastic pipe is far less likley to burst due to freezing, this is due to the plastic being able to "Take Up" some of the expansion caused by the water expanding. It has been known to fail, but this is usually when the "Ice Plug" is close to a fitting or inbetween 2 elbows that are close together.

In new build, it isn't a requirement for these drops to be insulated, but if in a void (under ground floor or roof space, they should be).

most modern houses have a room stat fitted, usually with a radiator without a trv.

some boilers have a frost stat built into them, some installations, where the boiler is in the garage, have a frost stat on the wall.

sometimes you have to install a frost stat on the pipes

running your heating on low for the winter months will be far cheaper than having to call an emergency plumber to fix a burst.

fitting a frost stat (if you dont have one) will also be cheaper.

get someone in who knows what they are doing. recommendations would be best ;)

Sponsored Links
Thank you for all your replies.

As it's difficult knowing how the replies specifically relate to my central heating installation, I now have a plumber calling round later today. And he was a recommendation, so I can have that peace of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back