Will it addvalue to a house to add a porch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a existing porch area with no doors (just an arch way). The entrance main door is only the front door for the house. Recently we had a burglary and we are thinking of ways to secure the home and also not spend too much for that. Our existing porch area is 1 metre X 3 metres.
We have to choices to have 2 front doors,either we can cover the arch way with a frame and an UPVC door or we can have the porchje itself extended by 3metres X 1 metre and have proper buildign works and doors fitted. Obviously the second option is twice as expensive as the first one.

My question now is adding this extra space will it add anyvalue to the house inspite of having to reduce the driveway.? Or is it good enough to put a door for the archway and have a small porch.

please advise

Sponsored Links
It will add value, it will also make the house MORE saleable.
What I would be looking at is what will I get from it.
Security & a nice entrance, but if I play on moving in 2 to 3 years you wont get much benefeit. If you have no plans to move then do it.

A tastefully built porch, nicely finished and proportional will not look out of place.

Try not to make it look clunky and don't over steep the roof pitch.

A property does not go up in value just because it has a porch.

There is a maximum and minimum that anyone will probably pay for properties in the road, and there are many factors which will affect the price, and whilst a porch may be one of them, you can't look at it in terms of building a porch adds x amount of money to the property value.

For instance and nice lounge carpet or kitchen lino may mean that the property sells for more than it would with a porch

Build a porch for yourself not for some theoretical future buyer

Sponsored Links
yep you are likley to improve the the value off your house
are likley to get the cost back no as said by others but i fully agree a helpfull selling point

but DO NOT say its for added security when selling as this may allert them to possible problems

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back