Will lintel hold floor above?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi recently I took out a wall, door and window in order to do a knock through into an extension. Directly above the wall is a lintel that runs along the entire length of the property. The property is part of a terrace of properties (around 8 houses). The lintel runs continuesly along all properties and seems to be one piece.

The lintel is about 45cm wide and 40 cm high. Length is around 80m as it runs along the entire terrace of properties. The opening that was created is about 3m wide. My builder inspected the building and said we will not need any support as the lintel in concrete and there are no joins in it, it runs along the entire property.

My question is, is he right? and will the lintel hold the first floor above (floor above is floorboards)? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
This seems to be a beam, and part of some sort of system/panel constrction. It may be OK without extra support, but it depends on the rest of the construction

Sponsored Links
80 meters!!!!!!!!! Are you sure? That's like 260+ feet!

I hurt my back lifting a 40 metre lintel a few years ago. I should have got the hoddie to help me.

If your builder is a qualified structural engineer then yes go for it.
I suspect not though. What was shown on your plans ? Do you have labc carrying out inspections ?

The builder may not have structural qualifications, but he did say he will not touch the wall if the lintel had a joint on it just above the wall as he did not have the time to put a beam across. He checked and told me it doesnt have any joints and it runs continuesly along the property.

The reason I said its about 80m long is because the same lintel seems to run along neighbouring properties aswell (8 houses) and there seems to be no joints. The property is around 40 years old. Can anyone help?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back