Will there be enough gas to go round?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anybody tell me how much gas I can draw through the supply.
I have a Potterton suprima 60 in the loft, and I am about to take delivery of a range cooker. I'm concerned, that if all 5 burners 2 ovens and the grill is on (A bit unlikely I know) will there still be enough gas to operate the boiler? :?:
For information, the gas supply is 22mm with a 15mm TEE to the cooker, and then 22mm up to loft reducing to 15mm for the last three feet to boiler.
There is talk of fitting a gas fire in the lounge in future too. Will it cope.?
Thanks in advance.
Flashbang..

Sponsored Links
First of thats a strange question if your corgi reg then you should no how to calculate the size required, if you are not you should not be attempting to put in a gas pipe when you don't understand it .But basically the most common gas meter will pass around 212 cu ft of gas at 21mb thats "about" 50kw so that should be ok for what you said but the larger the pipe size the less resistance and the same for elbows and machine bends. When calculated properly you should have no more than 1mb loss across the system. As an example 22mm pipe 8.7m3/hr at 3 meters if you increase it to 9meters it will pass 4.6m3/hr, so the longer the run the less gas it will pass unless you increase the pipe size 3meters of 28mm pipe will pas18m3/hr and down to 9.4m3/hr at 9meters. your boiler is about 2m3/hr at max (thats only a guess you would get the correct figure of the dater plate.0

COG wrote:
.....you should not be attempting to put in a gas pipe when you don't understand it.

In fairness, flashbang has not suggested anywhere that he will be putting in a gas pipe (as far as I can see)

Yes Oilman, you're absolutely right.. All I shall be doing is plugging in the bayonet gas fitting to my new cooker..
However, thanks for the very thorough answer COG, it looks like I won't be having a problem with demand outstripping supply, I'll have to measure the lengths of my pipes to check on pressure loss for sure, but I think it will cope.
many thanks again..
Flashbang, not corgi, just a DIYer..

Sponsored Links
sorry to be a kill joy flasj bang but you CANNOT connect a new cooker to the gas system this MUST be done by a competent person

you can remove and reconnect you existing one but a new one.. no

as the flexi hose has to be connected to the cooker it is in fact a new connection and the system MUST be check for let by and soundness
also the cooker must be commisioned

again sorry and PLEASE PLEASE do not do it yourself

if you dont believe me see this site

www.cori-gas-safety.com

corgiman said:

as the flexi hose has to be connected to the cooker it is in fact a new connection and the system MUST be check for let by and soundness

Do the new one come with a warning labels to prevent us from doing it?

and shouldn't the existing one be tested as well?

masona said:
corgiman said:

Do the new one come with a warning labels to prevent us from doing it?

and shouldn't the existing one be tested as well?

no existing should have been done to begin with and have been serviced annually and the bayonet fitting is deemed to have a comsumer usally sealling device

I dont know about any warning labels on cookers But a flexi hose should not be availible with them masona

at the end of the day there nothing stopping you doing it except killimg someone or destroying property IF you get it wrong

Well, Corgiman, what can I say.... How about if I was tell you that I consider myself competent. Gas is as easy to seal as water, and I have done every bit of plumbing in this house without a problem. I would expect the cooker hose to have a thread (probably tapered) and just needs some PTFE tape to seal. I have even got some PTFE tape labelled 'for gas use'
What is there to commision on a cooker. Please enlighten me?
Many thanks.
Flashbang (by name and possibly by nature :LOL: )
P.S. the link you posted didn't work...

93% of non corgi registered installations are found to have safety defects...... Now that's pretty scary stuff. I find it hard to believe. Do you think this is scare mongering to try to stop smartasses like me pushing their luck too far???
I know two corgi men. One told me he was too busy to install my boiler, the other told me to fit it myself and he would lend me his tester, so i would be able to check for leaks....
What's a guy supposed to do?
flashbang.

Whats the fig for Corgi reg installations ,prob just as high. Cookers are one of the best places to find a gas leak, just from the fact they have so many connections and valves etc ,its not hard to commission one but it is important, a lot of connection could be disturbed from transit etc

flashbang said:
What is there to commision on a cooker. Please enlighten me?
Many thanks.
Flashbang (by name and possibly by nature :LOL: )
P.S. the link you posted didn't work...

on the commission:
thermostat
gas rating
burner pressure
safety cut out devices
fsd check
door seal
stability fixing
flame picture
location suitability
ce mark
clearances to combustable materials
ventilation
clocks and timers

OK. Thanks for information. I'm enlightened!! :eek:
I hope everything passes. I'll get it done properly.
Thanks again.
Flashbang.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back