Window above an existing conservatory...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, am new to this forum and have a complicated question. I live in a grade 2 listed building and want to change the windows to sash windows and have employed an architect's to draw the plans for submission. He has highlighted an issue regarding my conservatory which is directly under a bedroom window and there are no other windows in that room. Does anyone know what may happen when I submit my request...can I be asked to remove the conservatory as it prevents the window from being a means of escape...I believe it got planning permission when it was built some time ago. Apologies for the length of the query! Regards Wayne

Sponsored Links
You're conflating several distinct issues here. Planning consent and Building Control have almost nothing to do with each other - I doubt my local BCO and Planning Officer have ever even met - unless to partake of the end of year bubbly paid for by spurious Lawful Development Certificates. Escape from your bedroom may well be something you should think about, but it has nothing to do with your planning application (but, then again, your architect could have told you that)

Have you employed an "architect" who is experienced in this type of planning application?

Have you engage with the conservation officer on the chances of being able to even change the window style in the first place? Are the windows part of the listing?

I have a modern conservatory whose lean to roof joins directly under my bedroom window. I have always fely it improves my means of escape! Short slide down to an 8 foot drop onto grass. Sorted!

Sponsored Links
Well, we're talking life saving here. I'd put money on NOT going through it. Watched the installers stepping on it plenty when it went up.

Thanks for the responses. Woody - I have had a conversation with a planning assistant at the local council who seemed receptive to changing the windows - I would be putting them back to what they were and more in keeping with the age of the property and the surrounding area...although once I submit who knows what will happen. After doing a little digging on the building regs I am hoping that because I won't be making the situation any worse then I should be okay. Have to say not impressed with the architect who should have picked this up straight away in my opinion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back