Window draught proofing/insulating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a couple of questions about my wooden windows.

1) Have a look at the pic..

should there be anything in the groove running around the opening part of the window? by anything i mean draught excluder's etc (there were plenty of spiders)

2) When the window is closed there is a gap (see pic)

Is this normal?

Sponsored Links
The groove you can see is quite normal and is found on 99.9% of pvc window and door extrusions and is commonly known as a 'euro groove', it is there to accomodate hinges or a locking mechanism, im guessing the reason you have it in your window openers is because you have upvc friction hinges :?:

As for the gap then no its not normal, i would imagine the hinge is worn, maybe even broken. Open the window and take a look into the top corners of the frame where the hinge is, you should see a triangular cup shape and a corresponding point on the opener side of the hinge, again my guess is this point is not locating in its cup causing a gap to appear up the length of the sash :?:

hi, thanks for the info.

The windows have 'normal' hinges (i think theyre called flush hinges)

I wondered if the gap is caused by the manufacturer not having factored in the use of a gasket around the opening, thus stopping the window closing fully.
However I cant really believe that as there is a grove routed into the frame to accept the gasket.

The window is hard up against the gastket, and therefore cant be closed any tighter. So i cant really see a way of eliminating the gap.

Unless a second gasket should be fitted to the window opener? (is that the right term)

If you have normal hinges then they'll more likely be storm proof hinges.

Also if fyou have a gasket on the inside then this will be causing your gap outside then, technically you should have the same gasket outside too :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
okay thanks for your help.

hopefully we wont be as cold this winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back