Window Glass Alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Have 6ft and 4ft wide double glazed upvc windows, typically the 6ft ones have two outer main openers with a fixed middle pane and a small opener above it.

Seems like the small stick on glass alarms might offer a good extra layer of security for the bungalow, but wondered what opinion was of these units like the Swann or Glass Minder devices.

Assume its necessary to fit one alarm to each pane of glass or is a single one fitted to the middle fixed pane sensitive enough ?

Have seen the IR beams but from reading though some of the forum posts seems they can be problematic; and if fitted inside, then it means they are already in.

Is there any other sensor / method I should be looking at instead /as well as ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
There are also "Acoustic break-glass detectors". The Intellisense one is pretty good (Honeywell now, I think). However, they only go off when the glass is broken whilst the Vipers/Shock Guard will go off at the first thump.

There are also "Acoustic break-glass detectors". The Intellisense one is pretty good (Honeywell now, I think). However, they only go off when the glass is broken whilst the Vipers/Shock Guard will go off at the first thump.
They will not (or should not) go off at the 'first thump', crack more like. A thump with your fist should not cause it to activate, vipers etc should be adjusted so a short sharp tap with a screwdriver handle is a good way of testing if you don't have the proper tester.
There are also ways to test the acoustics without the correct test equipment but they are definitely not professional.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Agreed... but what I was trying to suggest was that if Billy Burglar whacked the window with a brick/post/spade/etc., the Viper would trigger but the acoustic won't trigger until the window breaks. If BB doesn't hit the window hard enough to break it, he should still trigger the alarm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back