Winterise static caravan with Nest thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Nest z3rd generation learning thermostat fitted in my static caravan which controls the heating on my Morco GB 24 boiler. I will soon need to winterise my caravan and will be draining down the hot and cold water system using a Floe 868 and setting the boiler to frost stat. Am I right that I will need to turn off the thermostat, set the heat link to manual - but also switch off the safety temperature control on the thermostat to prevent it from trying to override the manual setting? Grateful for any advice? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Afaik the frost stat would override any control. The frost stat on the boiler will only do the boiler, if you wanted all other you need a pipe thermostat

I will soon need to winterise my caravan and will be draining down the hot and cold water system using a Floe 868 and setting the boiler to frost stat.
Wouldn't running a boiler that has been drained of water be a bad idea?

According to Morco it’s ok to run the boiler
IMG_6745.png

Sponsored Links
Afaik the frost stat would override any control. The frost stat on the boiler will only do the boiler, if you wanted all other you need a pipe thermostat
Yes, the frost stat will only do the boiler. The radiators and pipes have antifreeze protection but I don’t want them to heat up. I don’t want the nest thermostat safety temperature to override the frost stat on the boiler and try to heat up the caravan - because it can’t on that setting

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the frost stat will only do the boiler. The radiators and pipes have antifreeze protection but I don’t want them to heat up. I don’t want the nest thermostat safety temperature to override the frost stat on the boiler and try to heat up the caravan - because it can’t on that setting
You would be safer letting the nest handle the frost protection, the boiler frost thermostat only protects the boiler not the pipes and rads, even with anti freeze in it is still a risk

You would be safer letting the nest handle the frost protection, the boiler frost thermostat only protects the boiler not the pipes and rads, even with anti freeze in it is still a risk
Thanks. I’m planning to get the concentration checked to minimise that risk. Just wanting to test my assumptions

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back