Wired PIR with Home Assistant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I am planning on getting my electrician to fit some Shelly Pro 4 PM relays as part of my rewire. The plan is to use them to control most of my inside and outside lights. Hopefully I will then have physical light switches and control of the lights using Home Assistant.

On some of the lights I would like to switch them on for short periods with PIR's but ideally I would rather not use WiFi sensors.

Can anyone recommend wired IR sensors ideally, again, using Cat 5, capable of taking POE and compatible with Home Assistant?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Not aware of any brands offering security sensors that are wired over ethernet (probably are some but they are likely more enterprise-grade with an enterprise grade price tag...) Does seem like the sort of thing unifi will have done and then abandoned at some point!

Do you have wired sensors already? A konnected.io alarm panel might be a good shout if so. If not, you could look at running alarm wire instead of ethernet to where you want the sensors?

If you want to stick with the cat 5 at least for power, another option could be aotec's Z-wave multisensors (powered over USB, with a POE to USB A adaptor) - I've got some (running on battery) and am a fan, and I've no doubt they'll be better permanently powered.

The only other (relatively!) budget friendly idea I can think of would be buying some POE capable ESP32s and making your own PIR with esphone. I'm not sure if esphome supports sending data over ethernet though.

The new thing in presence detection for rooms with minimal movement is mmwave, which would be an additional option (if no doubt fiddly to implement!) alongside a PIR in esphome

As an aside, if you do get the Shelly's installed would you mind posting an update as to how you've found them? We're looking at doing something similar (granted, with everything and not just lights, and with contactors for certain things that exceed the amp rating of anything shelly has) in a property my parents own that has frequent power cuts, so we can do a form of automatic load shedding to prolong the runtime of a hypothetical whole-home battery and not have them find the freezer has defrosted and refrozen multiple times over!

As an aside, if you do get the Shelly's installed would you mind posting an update as to how you've found them? We're looking at doing something similar (granted, with everything and not just lights, and with contactors for certain things that exceed the amp rating of anything shelly has) in a property my parents own that has frequent power cuts, so we can do a form of automatic load shedding to prolong the runtime of a hypothetical whole-home battery and not have them find the freezer has defrosted and refrozen multiple times over!
I have been running them for years. Great devices.

Sponsored Links
You can use a contact in a PIR to trigger a shelly? Either volt free or not...

Thanks for the options and yes, I will postback once all is up and running.

Regards

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back