Wireless alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
son is buying a new house and we are looking for a wireless alarm. The most recent recommendations thread is a couple of years old and technology moves on.

I have fitted a couple of wired systems in the past.

Will probably need 4 pairs and a door contact or 5 pairs, may want to add camera in a year or so.

Looking at the older threads and the links in them has given us some steer but which are the best?

Sponsored Links
technology moves on
but it is not used in all alarm systems. Many wireless alarms still use one way communication and all are restricted to the few Licence Exempt wireless channels that are used by all sorts of systems. If another system is using the channel then the operation of your wireless alarm will be compromised.

Since you have fitted wired alarms you have the knowledge to do the best for your son and install a wired system

It is a new build, only 1 floor high so far. I would prefer wired but he and his mother don't want the decoration disturbing. I guess wireless would be quicker to install.

Builder is unlikely to let me on site before it is plastered.

If you do not ask the builder you will never no?
You could ask the builder for an alarm to be installed before it is plastered?
Wireless alarms run on batteries and you are always replacing then.
Wireless bell boxes need batteries replaced as well ,a wired alarm would be better.
Texecom ricochet,pyronix enforcer and visonic powemax are all good wireless systems.Texecom can be hybrid and you could hard wire a bell box onto the system.

Sponsored Links
Builder only offers wireless (for 1200) and won't allow access before it is finished although he has exchanged contracts.

I don't have a CSCS card either.

New build, still in progress, there is never a better time to fit the cables, it's done all the time.
Best time to do this as all cables can be hidden, keeps the ladies happy.

6 or 8 core from every detection position back to where the control panel is going to be fitted.

Don't forget the 'bell' and a mains supply direct from the fuse box to a non-switched 3amp fused spur adjacent to the control equipment.

Have fun.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back