WIRELESS CONNECTION

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This may be easy for you guys but I'm stumped..
I have an Aspire 1690 laptop with a Intel wireless adaptor and a Belkin 54g wireless AP/router. Laptop connects to wireless network o.k. but I cant get onto the net or pick up email. However if i plug into wired lan (on same router)I can do both. Have recently had a hard drive change could it be software missing or is it likely to be hardware?

Sponsored Links
Is it really connected to the wireless network?

Does it receive an ipaddress?

If it works via a wire, the general Internet/email settimgs must be correct, so it would suggest a connectivity issue between the lappy and the router.

I was just about to reply to this, but now that Igorian's on the case there's really very little point. ;)

Hi guys
Yes it does get an IP address , according to te router page but I dont know how to check if the adaptor is recieving or using it How can I check it?
You will probably guess I am a network virgin

Sponsored Links
Open an command prompt on the PC (START>RUN type CMD and press Enter). In the command window, type IPCONFIG /ALL. Check that the wireless adaptor (not the wired connection) is receiving an ipaddress. It could be anything (starting with 192. , 10. etc), but if it starts with 169, then it isn't being assigned.

Turn off any firewalls on the lappy (Windows firewall, Norton etc). You can turn them on later if you wish, although most people know my views of software firewalls.

Igorian said:
...most people know my views of software firewalls.
You luv 'em - you can't get enough of 'em. They're your favourite software they are.

Sponsored Links
Back