Wireless Replacement for Randal 103

guess you must be partying that much you forgot you put

" i can only think the DHW is gravity and the timer just brings the pump on"
;)

Sponsored Links
WTF :eek: I must be missing something here...

The 103 IS suitable! It turns on the heating and water at the same time, it doesn't control the pump, that'll be the job of the 2 or 3 port valve/s or the boiler (not sure if it has a pump overrun)

The 937 is NOT suitable as a direct replacement because it needs to sense room temperature and not boiler cupboard temperature! Also for the reason already mentioned by Mickyg.

If you want better control link the heating calling wire to permanent live behind the 103 so it only times the hot water, then fit the 937 where your current room stat is. You won't need the neutral any more.

you cant have a thermostat unless you update the system(going by the information you have provided)

There's already a thermostat so it can be done how I describe above, can't it? I mean with a hard wired programmable stat, not a wireless one.

Sponsored Links
I cant see anywhere the op has mentioned having a thermostat and this comment would suggest if he did it would be pointless or working incorrectly........
The Randal 103 controls the DHW & HTG at the same time so unless the heating is on I get no hot water. There is no setting to turn on DHW only like you get on the Randal 102. If I want hot water when the heating is off I have to turn on the immersion and the hot water tank is in the loft.

I have just moved house and the central heating system is a bit ancient and looking to change it. The boiler is a Glow Worm Fuel Saver MKII with a Randal 103 and wired thermostat on the landing.

Please tell me I'm NOT going insane :D :eek:

haha no its me. i didnt see it. which begs the question wtf its doing ! doesnt really make sense

Yea something doesn't seem quite right...

OP, can you get hot water on it's own if you turn the thermostat right down?

no motorised valve on hot water one 2 port valve on heating possibly hidden just wired LNE microswitch not wired

no motorised valve on hot water one 2 port valve on heating possibly hidden just wired LNE microswitch not wired

yes thats what you might think, but the op has said the water wont work without heating and in the summer shuts it all down and uses the immersion heater !

Or heating wont go off when room stat turned down indicating stuck or passing mot valve.
Cant think why else it would have room stat unless its never been connected and left over from even older system

After a discussion with the wife, we are just going to call a heating engineer (or three of them) and get quoted to update the system. We know it needs updating and our offer on the house was based on costing in a new boiler and radiators so we may as well do it now rather than wait. I am going to do a garage conversion and was planning to update the boiler at the same time as the new rooms will need radiators plumbed in.

On my last Combi boiler adding the Honewell was a piece of cake and I assumed it would be the same again but I was fooled. I never knew heating systems could be so complicated.

To everyone who has taken the time to reply than you for doing so and I have enjoyed reading your threads and learned loads. No doubt I will be back with more questions in the future.

So we now have a motorized valve. :rolleyes:

The room stat probably just opens and closes the valve in that case leaving the 103 to fire the boiler and pump at the set times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back