Wiring 50w spotlights x8 to loft conversion help/advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My first post on here.

We are having our loft converted into a bedroom. We want to wire 8 50w spotlights in there. The spotlights are double insulated, 2 connections to each light. We want 1 dimmer switch also connected for these.

The wiring in the loft for my upstairs existing lights seems to be daisy chained. There is 4 lights in this chain.

My question is what is the best way to wire my loft conversion with spotlights?

Do i take a feed from one of the existing upstairs rose and daisy chain the spotlights for the loft conversion? Or break into the feed , add a JB and take it from there?

Any help or advise please.

Sponsored Links
We are having our loft converted into a bedroom. We want to wire 8 50w spotlights in there.
That's 400W of lighting.

Is it a very large loft, or do you think you might need lots of lights because you have chosen a type which doesn't do a good job of actually lighting the room?

My question is what is the best way to wire my loft conversion with spotlights?
There probably isn't one.

Are you thinking of recessed ones, or some kind of surface mounted light?

If the former, how are you going to ensure that the clearances needed, and the holes in the ceiling, don't create a Part L or a Part C contravention?

Do i take a feed from one of the existing upstairs rose and daisy chain the spotlights for the loft conversion? Or break into the feed , add a JB and take it from there?
You must have applied for Building Regulation approval, so when you did, what did you put on it about the way that you would ensure that the electrical work would comply with Part P?

That's not a trick question - it's not unusual for people copy down what the council tells them to write on the application, and don't give any thought to what they are actually committing to, and then find themselves in all sorts of bother when they don't abide by it, usually right at the end when they find that they can't get their completion certificate from the council.

Any help or advise please.
Step 1: Change your plans about the type of lights you're going to install.

Step 1: Change your plans about the type of lights you're going to install.

Thanks, i have already decided to keep it simple and have 1 low wattage light.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back