wiring a continental 2 pin plug

ZenStalinist said:
Waht shioce do htey hive?

Judging by your typing, if I were you, I'd wouldn't just lay off the wiring they have in the Netherlands.....
Why are you having a go at me? Plugwash started it - all I was doing was taking the p|ss...

Sponsored Links
Ah, okay. I apologize. Plugwash, read the post I originally meant for ban to see. :)

it was only a tuny typo ffs

i did think about france only plugs in genrman sockets but i didn't know if they would actually fit

still i think its a disgrase that in europe they still don't view houses with unearthed sockets as in desperate need of a rewire like we would he (hell we get upset over unearethed lights)

Sponsored Links
Plugwash's "tiny typo" gave me a good laugh.

what i find mroe worrying is the way european sonsumers don't think anything of plugging calss one alliances into non-earthed outlets

But seriously, yes, Shuko sockets in Spain are frequently wired with neutral and live randomly interchanged, so a socket tester is a valuable thing to have for older equipment, or for things like uninterruptable power supplies (UPS) which can run outside of specifications when connected the "wrong way" around.

If you look at molded Schuko plugs and their respective cable's colour coding, you will see that 99% of them are wired Phase (Live) to the left and Neutral to the right - as you look at a socket face-on. For the plugs, this means earth hole to the top, Live on left when viewed from behind. Effectively the opposite way to a UK 3 pin fused plug.

Comparing a molded Schuko computer cable to a UK one, the above schema also matches the live on the UK molded cable (i.e. "Live on Left" comes out of the same pin on the C13 power connector as does the Live pin on the UK version of the same csble/connector).

Quite a few Spanish sparkies follow that convention these days, but you still can't bet on it with any certainty.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back