Wiring a cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to buy a new cooker. The one we have now is built in electtric wired into a fused socket in the adjacent cupboard. Most cookers i have been looking at are supplied with a standard 3 pin plug to fit plug into a standard socket.

Can i wire our existing (hardwired) cable to install the oven. Would not have to touch the fused socket as its already wired in existing. Will be a matter of disconnecting old oven and connecting new. Can this be done or is it a Part P qualified job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume that

a) you are talking about an electric oven, rather than a cooker?
b) you don't have an electric hob to worry about?

In that case, then simply swap the cooker connection point for a single unswitched 13A socket outlet and plug the cooker into this (if no RCD is fitted to the circuit, ensure that you label it up "for oven use only", this would be non notifiable work, however some (me included) would issue a MEWC for it (but I'd limit testing to a Zs and rcd tests, if fitted)

what do you mean when you say "fused socket"?

has it got a fuse in it?
or is it a socket?

can't be both

A real electric cooker (with rings, grill and oven) can't be run from a plug and socket.
A single oven usually can
A double oven can't

Sponsored Links
what do you mean when you say "fused socket"?

has it got a fuse in it?
or is it a socket?

can't be both

It can but it's probably not in this case :LOL:

MK_k2737whi.jpg

Sorry for lack of info

Its a built in electric oven. Didnt know there was a difference between this and a cooker.
There is also an electric hob which is wired to a seperate outlet.

The oven is wired with a 10mm approx grey cable to an outlet that looks like this. http://www.screwfix.com/prods/62554...ded/Crabtree-Range/Crabtree-13A-DP-Switch-FCU

Not sure thats the actual one but the face plate is the same.

There is an RCD fitted as the house was fully rewired 2 years ago.

The hob is wired to one of these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/13014...kets/White-Moulded/MK-Range/MK-20A-DP-Sw-Neon Again not sure if exact one but the same looking face plate

In that case, then simply swap the cooker connection point for a single unswitched 13A socket outlet and plug the cooker into this (if no RCD is fitted to the circuit, ensure that you label it up "for oven use only", this would be non notifiable work..
Alternatively cut the plug off the oven and wire it into the FCU - that's not notifiable.

Its a built in electric oven. Didnt know there was a difference between this and a cooker.

Hob: Flat horizontal item with parts that get hot, used for boiling & frying etc things in pans.

Oven: Box that gets hot, used for roasting and baking etc.

Cooker: Single appliance containing a hob and oven(s).

ban-all-sheds";p="1606155 said:
In that case, then simply swap the cooker connection point for a single unswitched 13A socket outlet and plug the cooker into this (if no RCD is fitted to the circuit, ensure that you label it up "for oven use only", this would be non notifiable work..

Alternatively cut the plug off the oven and wire it into the FCU - that's not notifiable.

Think thats what i was getting at in a round about way! Thanks

I doubt (and hope that it's not the case) that an electic hob has been wired to a 20A DP switch. Most standard hobs are around 6kW rating......

Lucia.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back