Wiring a fan (switched live)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am adding a fan to the lighting circuit. The easiest way for me to wire it is to change the light switch to a 2 gang switch, take a live feed from switch 1 (Common) to switch 2 (Common) & pick up a neutral from a ceiling rose.

My question is, because the neutral & switched live will be in single core cable, does the switched live still have to be in black cable taped with red, or can it be in red (I am using up old colour cable)

Sponsored Links
you should use red (brown if using new codes which you'r really supposed to be using now) for a cable thats just carrying a live.

remember you need to think about earths and also about double insulation (conduit singles should only be used if the ENTIRE run is in conduit or trunking).

another option may be to replace the switch cable with 3+E and then use the old switch drop (assuming its long enough) to take power to the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back