Wiring a Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I currently have a light switch which I want to replace. The current switch has 2 holes labelled L1 and COMM with 4 wires going into them. The new switch has 4 holes labelled L1 through to L4. Can someone advise where I should wire the 4 wires please. Many thanks Charn

image1 (2).JPG
image2.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You have bought the wrong switch. That is an intermediate switch.

It is possible to use it though.

Put the two reds at the top in L1, and the two at the bottom in L3.
If the switch operates upside down, then you can just turn the switch round (!) or move the wires from L3 to L4.

You've actually bought the wrong kind of switch, you have an "intermediate" switch, but it doesn't matter.

Just use L1 and L3 or L2 and L4 (or L1 and L4 or L2 and L3) :)

Sponsored Links
You have bought the wrong switch. That is an intermediate switch.

It is possible to use it though.

Put the two reds at the top in L1, and the two at the bottom in L3.
If the switch operates upside down, then you can just turn the switch round (!) or move the wires from L3 to L4.

Thanks

A particular housing estate was fitted with intermediates exclusively to avoid having a selection of switches in stock, it came in handy for future alterations (y)

Expensive way of doing it! I do keep several in the van for emergencies though.

I wanted intermediate switches in the bedroom, for the central light so it could be switched either side of bed and at door, also spots either side of bed also can be switched off at the door, had to wire so intermediate at side of bed, as could only get at single or double could not find any as triple switch single box sized units.

I am careful with intermediate switches so easy to mix up a double pole switch with an intermediate, in all the houses I have lived in, I have only had one with intermediate switches and that was in bed room, as reported above, so not something I would keep in stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back