Wiring a UK gang strip to an EU plug.

They’re not allowed in Irish kitchen / utility circuits for example, for that reason.
Untrue. RECI had the ETCI change this from Normative to Informative, and indeed RECI encourage the use of ring circuits in kitchens. (Utility rooms are not mentioned either - the advice in the Informative appendix only relates to kitchens.)

Also the sockets are not classified as BS1363 but IS411 (and IS401 plugs).

Sponsored Links
When going to the EU I tend to take a UK 3-pin gang strip (3 or 5 way with 1m flex) and plug it into the EU adapter - all good as it allows me to power / charge the mobile devices and laptop we take away.

What I was looking to do is remove the 3-pin plug and wire in a 2-pin EU plug so I can plug the gang strip straight into the wall socket but I am unsure of the wiring diagram, any help is appreciated.

Not a two pin plug: you will be missing an earth on any Class I item plugged into it.

A Schuko plug is often referred to as 2 pin (well it does only have 2 pins) but not is not missing an earth.

When we go into continental europe we simply take a 2-pin adapter to plug in the vaious chargers and my shaver. Unfortunately the 2-pin from the UK does not fit into a 2-pin in switzerland - the wholes are too narrow.
I don't know what this discussion and slagging off of the Schuko 2-pin is about. It seems to be working very well in Germany and other countries and when I look at a british 3-pin and compare it to the 2-pin I think the british design is crap. Also appliances do not have a problem with reversed polarity. I managed to wire some sockets in with L and N mixed and everything worked. We had a well protected fuse board end. I was told off by an electrician when they checked the sockets.
And if I look at my sister's fuse board in Germany - very sleak - which looks and feels like a factory control room you do not need the crappy 13Amp fuses in the socket. Very bad design and cheap design.

Sponsored Links
When we go into continental europe we simply take a 2-pin adapter to plug in the vaious chargers and my shaver. Unfortunately the 2-pin from the UK does not fit into a 2-pin in switzerland - the wholes are too narrow.
I don't know what this discussion and slagging off of the Schuko 2-pin is about. It seems to be working very well in Germany and other countries and when I look at a british 3-pin and compare it to the 2-pin I think the british design is crap. Also appliances do not have a problem with reversed polarity. I managed to wire some sockets in with L and N mixed and everything worked. We had a well protected fuse board end. I was told off by an electrician when they checked the sockets.
And if I look at my sister's fuse board in Germany - very sleak - which looks and feels like a factory control room you do not need the crappy 13Amp fuses in the socket. Very bad design and cheap design.

Appliances will work with reversed polarity buy safety is compromised as many appliances only have single pole switching. Schuko is a very old design from the '20s when L and N was not common in Germany as 2 phases of a 220v 3 phase supply were used. An improved version of Schuko is used in France, Belgium, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia which uses an earth pin in the socket and is polarised.
The British design is not crap and is used in many countries, Britain, Ireland, Malta, Gibraltar, Seychelles, Dubai, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Malaysia, Cyprus, some African countries, and some more I've forgotten about. It does not use crappy 13 amp fuses in the socket either. Fuses are in the plugs. It is not a cheap design either.

Appliances will work with reversed polarity buy safety is compromised as many appliances only have single pole switching. Schuko is a very old design from the '20s when L and N was not common in Germany as 2 phases of a 220v 3 phase supply were used. An improved version of Schuko is used in France, Belgium, Poland, the Czech Republic and Slovakia which uses an earth pin in the socket and is polarised.
The British design is not crap and is used in many countries, Britain, Ireland, Malta, Gibraltar, Seychelles, Dubai, Hong Kong, Macau, Singapore, Malaysia, Cyprus, some African countries, and some more I've forgotten about. It does not use crappy 13 amp fuses in the socket either. Fuses are in the plugs. It is not a cheap design either.
Sorry to disagree but I think the 13A is a very poor design and some makes are very cheap in quality, of all the types I have had the pleasure to handle [public entertainment and regularly with a wide selection of different nations connectors within the same job] I have found our horrible 13A things to be the most troublesome. Just because it is used in so many countries does not make it a good design. History is riddled with bad choices, look back to VHS and Betamax for example.

If they are as good as some on here seem to think they are:
CEEform would not have become the 'standard' in so many places.
Stage lighting would have relinquished 5A & 15A along the way.
Caravans would not have standardised on Shuko when they first had power hook. I used to keep a stock as I lived adjacent to a caravan park and it was surprising how many tried to drive off still connected, or turned up without a cable.

If they are as good as some on here seem to think they are:
CEEform would not have become the 'standard' in so many places.
Stage lighting would have relinquished 5A & 15A along the way.

BS1363 are only for 240V AC single phase, whereas CEEFORM is an entire system covering multiple voltages and phases.

Stage lighting retained 5A / 15A intentionally to prevent non-dimmable things being plugged in to dimmer circuits and because in that application a plug fuse is not required as circuits are protected at the dimmer channel, and a plug fuse on a lighting grid is a complete pain. A lot of newer lighting is going over to CEEform and DMX anyway.

BS1363 are only for 240V AC single phase, whereas CEEFORM is an entire system covering multiple voltages and phases.
Yes I agree, but portable generators used to have 13A sockets which got changed to CEEform when they failed... [I used to do some work for a hire shop and that was my job] It got to the point where we automatically changed them on a new set to avoid the failure problems.

Stage lighting retained 5A / 15A intentionally to prevent non-dimmable things being plugged in to dimmer circuits and because in that application a plug fuse is not required as circuits are protected at the dimmer channel, and a plug fuse on a lighting grid is a complete pain.
I understand this comment and can't say I disagree, but in those installations where 13A has been used for stage lighting [which is actually quite common when it has been installed by an electrical contractor rather than a stage contractor] it always seems to be the plugs which fail and not a fuse issue.
A lot of newer lighting is going over to CEEform and DMX anyway.
and the vast majority of those products contain a ... wait for it... A fuse TaDa. I'm now finding a lot of Ceeform is changing over to Powercon for this application, presumably to save space.

Sponsored Links
Back