wiring an old bt dropwire to a new socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, I need some help if possible?

I moved into my house a year ago and had a load of plastering done, during the work the old phone socket was removed leaving a cable poking through my living room wall. I want to get wifi in my house but need a working phone line, I've bought a new socket from B&Q which is mounted to the wall, but I cant figure out how to wire it up.

The cable poking through my wall has 7 wires, Orange, White, Black, Green and 3 off-white. The socket I have bought has 7 terminals marked from 1-6.

Can anyone tell me which wires go to which terminal please?

Thank you.

Pete

Sponsored Links
If you are applying for a new phone line then the socket will be supplied and connected by OpenReach as part of your purchase of the new phone service.

Take care with the three white "wires". they are steel support strands and can inflict wounds to careless fingers.

Sponsored Links
The BT Drop Cable (The cable coming from the outside world)

This often has Orange, White, Green and Black wires. Usually (but not always) Orange and White are the active pair and go to connections 2 and 5. In some master boxes (such as the type with a removable front section) they go to two connectors marked A and B.

Which way around they are connected usually doesn't matter but as Rick Hughes kindly pointed out some modems (especially older USA sourced ones) and some answering machines are fussy about polarity, so it's wise if possible to check the voltage on the line and connect -48V to the B leg (J2) and 0V to the A leg (J5).

If you have underground wiring with a small grey connection box by the door the internal cabling will usually be the same type and colour as the extension cabling.

group the 3 white steel wires together and cap them somehow (a 5a screw block will do), because they are sharp and can cut into your copper wires once you put the socket back on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back