Wiring confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to connect a new pond pump. When I took the old one out I did not note how it was wired in (stupid I know). Now I come to wire the new one in and I am confused. The wires coming from the house to the pond area are Red, Black, Blue and Yellow - not a match with the brown, blue, green/yellow on the new pump. How should I wire it up? Help!!!

Sponsored Links
You'll need to identify which of your R/B/B/Y are live, neutral and earth, either by looking at where it originates, or by testing (with a proper 2-pole tester, not a neon screwdriver).

Where does the cable go at the house end, is it to a switch of some sort.

Have a look inside there and let us know what colour wires go where, or post a photo.

Maybe we can then help.

With a voltmeter and a 5A or 10A load and a known good ground you can figure it out by a process of elimination but try the colors first.

Sponsored Links
Maybe it's just me, but I think that finding both ends and verifying continuity by testing when dead would be better.

With a voltmeter and a 5A or 10A load and a known good ground you can figure it out by a process of elimination but try the colors first.

Earth, its called earth
Colours, its spelt colours
And a Consumer Unit seems to be a Load Center. . .:D

While no one here writes like this, spelt, whilst and knackered don't seem to trigger my spell check but colour does. . .ah, well. . .
:?:

Maybe it's just me, but I think that finding both ends and verifying continuity by testing when dead would be better.
No, not just you - and not only better, but a hell of a lot safer! We seem to have recently seen suggestions of quite a few 'classroom experiments' involving LV electricity which may be all well and good under proper conditions, with knowledgable people and supervision, and appropriate precautions, but which really should not be suggested to people whose level of understanding/experience one does know or (as is more often the case) whose level of understanding/experience is clearly very low.

Kind Regards, John

While no one here writes like this,
No one where? Here? It seems they do.

My dictionary (the one here in this room is the Collins English Dictionary 21st Century Edition) contains

spelt vb a past tense and past participle of spell.

Is yours broken?

whilst and knackered don't seem to trigger my spell check
Why on earth should they?

but colour does
Obviously the spelling checker was written by an ignoramus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back