wiring downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please help and explain how i wire downlighters together, the downlighters in question are 230v 50w each and there are 12 of them they are on there own lighting circuit. At present i have run a length of 1.0mm t&e from the c/u to the first downlighter and then run a second length of cable to the light switch from the fist downlighter, How do i wire in the rest? the downlighters have no earth connection so what happens here too? do i use junctions boxes at each light fitting?

Any help much appricated

Sponsored Links
See the wikki ref lighting circuits then loop from one light to the next.

Just loop from light to light.

At the first light you connect the live from the CU to the live going to the switch. Assuming the wires are brown/blue and not red/black as new cabling is now brown/blue, the blue core in the cable to the switch is actually a live conductor as it is just the path back from the switch (it should be marked at either end with brown tape or preferably oversleeved to indicate it is a live conductor). The oversleeved blue cable is then connected to the live conductors looping between the lights.

Using JB's at each point connect live to live, neutral to neutral and earth to earth (called the cpc). I know the lights don't need the earth but the earth should stay continuous nevertheless.

The lights just connect into the JB's across the live/neutral conductors.

Scott

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back