Wiring extension lead direct to socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our house we have burglar alarm's control unit connected to an electrical socket via a 1-gang extension lead.
Is it OK to wire the other end of the extension lead direct to the socket (so there will be no plug).
The socket itself is in a high traffic area. I am trying to prevent kids from pulling it out accidently, having the socket free would be another bonus. Thanks

Sponsored Links
I see, thanks. Assumed it would make no difference ..
Too much hassle for my DIY level, will probably get this one instead
Electrical%20Socket%20Plug%20Cover1.jpg
or secure the plug with something else (superglue comes to mind).

You need the FCU to provide a fuse to protect the flex.

Replacing a socket with a FCU should not be difficult.

Sponsored Links
I see, thanks. Assumed it would make no difference ..
As you've been told, there has to be a fuse - which can either be in a plug or an FCU.
Too much hassle for my DIY level, will probably get this one instead <pic of socket with cover> ...
If you are proposing replacing your present socket with one of those (and hence losing the availability of the socket for other purposes), it would be just as easy to replace it with an FCU.
... or secure the plug with something else (superglue comes to mind).
Not a good idea!

Kind Regards, John

Since we don't know if the socket is a spur (assume it is) and you are already happy enough to change the socket, you could add another backbox next to the existing one, put an FCU into the existing back box and wire the alarm into that, then link the Load side of the FCU into the new adjacent back box into which you can put your existing socket. Make sure the power is off etc etc. However, if the kids are the issue, will keeping the socket not be pointless anyway since they can unplug whatever you plug into it.

However, if the kids are the issue, will keeping the socket not be pointless anyway since they can unplug whatever you plug into it.

Unpluging whatever does not start the 110+ dB siren :)

The siren shouldn't start on loss of mains supply anyway. You have a faulty control panel battery (or the system wasn't installed right).

Not installed right sounds probable as alarm shouldn't be running off an extension lead anyway.

Not installed right sounds probable as alarm shouldn't be running off an extension lead anyway.

What do you mean ? It was running off an extension lead already when we bought the house, I just moved it elsewhere. Can't recall seeing anything specific about extention leads in the manual. It is an oldish wireless Yale alarm system.

I think I've checked the CU batteries some time ago, they were OK. Perhaps need to test it properly, but I think it went off last time when I tried to unplug it without switching the siren off first.

What do you mean ? It was running off an extension lead already when we bought the house, I just moved it elsewhere. Can't recall seeing anything specific about extention leads in the manual. It is an oldish wireless Yale alarm system.

Intruder alarms should be hardwired in to an unswitched FCU to make it harder for an intruder to disconnect the power.

However an "oldish wireless Yale alarm system" won't be designed or built to current wired alarm standards.

Intruder alarms should be hardwired in to an unswitched FCU to make it harder for an intruder to disconnect the power.

Of course, since no intruder will think to grab a knife out of the kitchen drawer and pull the fuse or even take a small screwdriver with them! Always though that was a bit of a flaw with most alarms :(

Nevertheless, it shouldn't go off simply because it has lost power, imagine your poor neighbours if you are on holiday during a power cut/brownout

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back