wiring extra ceiling lights to existing switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In my garage I have a ceiling light switched by a single gang switch. I want to put in two more lights at different positions on the ceiling and have all three lights controlled by the same switch. How do I wire the extra two lights in?

Sponsored Links
By connecting them to the existing lights.

I think you should first get a general DIY encyclopædia, or wiring guide, though, and spend a little time learning the basics of how things are wired up.

Where does the power for your garage light come from?

Chances are (in a garage attached to the house) the lighting radial circuit 'loops through' the light fitting. Is this the case?

As is becoming the case these days, the lighting radial loops through the switch, is this the case?

Or if the garage has its own supply, is the supply for the lights coming from a Fused Connection Unit on the same ring/radial for the sockets?

Thanks for the prompt replies. The wiring circuit loops through the ceiling rose. Is it just ok to connect the two new pairs of brown and blue wires from each of the two new lampholders, straight to the brown and blue connectors of the existing lampholder?

Sponsored Links
As long as there is enough room to properly terminate the new wires into the terminals on the existing fitting (normally labelled L, LOOP, N) - You need to wire into L & N, LOOP is permanantly live and should be left alone.

Are you intending to wire both new lights form the existing one, or are you going to 'daisy chain'?

Thanks Click-Sure. I suppose it would be better to 'daisy chain' if that means wiring from the existing ceiling rose to the first of the extra ones and from from that to the second new rose. Would that be ok?

The only reason I suggest daisy-chain method is that you may struggle to get 3 conductors into one terminal in the existing fitting.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back