Wiring fluorescent light fitting to replace emergency light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Garage light is currently an emergency fluorescent fitting (i.e. with emergency battery backup). I'm replacing this with a standard fluorescent fitting and need some help with the wiring.

Currently there's two 2-core & earth cables (marked power and switch) which feed into connectors on fitting marked L1 L2 N & Earth.

The new fitting only has connections for L N & E.

I'd be grateful for simple instructions on how to wire the new fitting.

Sponsored Links
One of the L's will be a permanent line and one will be the switched line. If you don't know which is which then terminate one in the new light L and terminate the other safely in a seperate connector block. Dont forget the N and E. If the light works away you go - if it stays on regardless of the switch position then swap the two L's around. Remember to isolate first.

Btw - why are you getting rid of an emergency in the garage. It could be quite handy unless it no longer works.

Thanks for reply. I'll give it a go and let you know the outcome.

I'm getting rid of the emergency light because the transformer buzzes and it can be heard right through the house. Its also temperamental in that the light frequently doesn't come on, so I have to leave the fuse off for a while, then when I turn it back on the light works.

I've never had to use the emergency lighting, so it seemed easier to swap it for a standard light.

Current position is that when I connect the cable marked "Power" the light stays on regardless of the switch. When I connect the cable marked "Switch", nothing happens.

I'd welcome suggestions as to next step. I'm tempted to add a junction box and wire as per a regular one-way lighting circuit.

Sponsored Links
Assuming you have two red/black cables:
You need an extra piece of terminal block, the two reds connect to this and nothing else.
The black from the supply to the N terminal
The black (with red sleeve) from the switch to the L terminal
Both earths to the earth terminal.

If you have brown/blue cable the method is the same, two browns together, blue supply to N, blue switch (brown sleeve) to L and earths both in the earth.

Yes, sorry - ignore what I wrote earlier as I had my commercial/industrial head on where the wiring would possibly be in singles :oops:

Good job Spark123 was paying attention !

Thanks Spark - its up and running.

Only problem is that the buzzing is still in there and it seems that it wasn't the emergency light after all. And, the intermittent failing of the light to work was caused by dodgy wiring in the switch. So I didn't need to change the light after all!

Never mind, its now sited in a better place so not a TOTAL waste of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back