Wiring for a new kitchen installation

Thanks for all the replies.

Electrifying

That isn't the plan at all. But when you've been seriously let down by trades in the past, what are you supposed to do?

I know that there are a lot of credible / trustworthy tradespeople around - but there are also a large number of rip off cowboys.

Since I've only just moved into a new area, I don't have any idea of who is good and who isn't yet and so think it's in my own interest to have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Sorry if you don't like that!

Sponsored Links
BAS: We don't know each other, we've never spoken to each other on a forum or away from a forum.
But you have come here with a preconceived opinion of me based on things I have written on other sites,
So this is where you've been hiding BAS. Arrogant as ever I see.
and I submit that your criticism of me on this site is at least partly based on that opinion.

I said you're arrogant because I have indeed been a member of forums you have been and you always (to me) come across as arrogant and in some cases condescending. In this case I feel that you are talking down to the OP and that you come across as arrogant. Now you can feel free to correct me here if I'm wrong.
You are wrong. I very much doubt that you could produce a rational analysis of these sentences:
  • Then find your electrician first, and ask him all these questions.
  • There's no point you deciding on the cable size and MCB rating for the cooker circuit if he doesn't agree.
  • There's no point you installing a 2nd CU in a cupboard if he doesn't like that idea.
  • There's no point anybody here choosing cable sizes, as your electrician will be the one taking responsibility for the design.
  • There's no point you, or anybody here, deciding how to install the cable to the island if your electrician has other ideas. You should find out from him about that cable asap, in case it has to go in before the UFH. Is that a wet system, or electric?
  • One man's story of getting an electrician involved too late: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=233382
  • It's just that at first it didn't look that way - it seemed that you were saying that you were going to be making circuit design decisions and installing cables etc:....and then planning to get an electrician to come along, connect them up, and (presumably?) sign a legal document to say that he'd done all of the design and installation
  • People here were just trying to warn you that it doesn't work like that.
  • IMO of particular concern is this:...I think you should get your electrician involved before that stage, in case installing the floor causes problems when you come to run the cable to the island.
  • There's also the design of the island, and its relative position to consider. Where will the isolator for the hob go, for example?
  • Fair enough, but you're going to need to know quite a bit if you want to be able to successfully vet your electrician's design and challenge things you don't like.
  • Just like doing your own design and installation, it is no use thinking that all you have to do is to ask the questions which happen to occur to you - you need to acquire a genuinely competent level of knowledge and understanding.
  • //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:books
  • This is Part P:.....You should also read all of the Building Regulations to find out about the requirements for notification.
  • Bear in mind that Approved Document P is not "Part P", it is not the law, it is not mandatory, it has never accurately reflected the law, and what it says about LABC charges is now wrong because of more recent legislation.
which would show that it was reasonable to say that I am conceited, or have an exaggerated opinion of my own importance, or was being patronising.

I was under the impression that you yourself are not a qualified electrician, so I find it odd that if this is true, you're here giving advice. Like I said, you can correct me if I'm wrong and I'll be big enough to apologize for my assumption.
If that were the case, would that make any of my advice incorrect?

Oh for the love of Pete, and the benefit of this forum, PLEASE give it a rest Banal.

No one likes you, and your endless multi-quoted screeds are not going to help that, nor help people with electrical matters.

It's Saturday; put your regs book down, turn the computer off, zip up your flies and get yourself down the boozer. :idea:

Oh for the love of Pete, and the benefit of this forum, PLEASE give it a rest Banal.

No one likes you, and your endless multi-quoted screeds are not going to help that, nor help people with electrical matters.

It's Saturday; put your regs book down, turn the computer off, zip up your flies and get yourself down the boozer. :idea:

And you stop antagonising..............

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies.

Electrifying

That isn't the plan at all. But when you've been seriously let down by trades in the past, what are you supposed to do?

I know that there are a lot of credible / trustworthy tradespeople around - but there are also a large number of rip off cowboys.

Since I've only just moved into a new area, I don't have any idea of who is good and who isn't yet and so think it's in my own interest to have a pretty good idea of what's going on.

Sorry if you don't like that!

So, when you get your electrician around, ask to see evidence of his qualifications and experience, his Part P registration, his insurances and a couple of references from recent jobs........then leave him to it.

I, personally, wouldn't work for someone who was questioning my every statement - all because they'd done a bit of reading on the internet, as oposed to the years of study and training I'd put in. :D

If I wanted to work with someone looking over my shoulder, I'd go employed, instead of self-employed.

It's always good to have an understanding of what you are paying someone to do in your property, some sparks don't like it when you start asking loads of questions, but you can at least then hopefully spot someone who's full of c##p, use that bit of knowledge to suss out who to use for your project, qualifications etc are important, as is finding someone who's reliable etc, but also someone you can work with

I'll give it a rest when people stop their irrational and groundless personal criticisms of me.

No one likes you,
Not true.

Some people don't but as their dislike of me clearly renders them unable to think properly, or behave intelligently, I place less value on them and their opinions than I do dog-s*** stuck to the sole of my shoe.

and your endless multi-quoted screeds are not going to help that, nor help people with electrical matters.
It may indeed do neither, but it does highlight the repetitive nature of the utterly unreasonable criticisms. I will stop defending myself when people stop attacking me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back