Wiring for a new PIR light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys,

Wondering if someone can help here. Just bought a new outside PIR light as the old one was getting a bit grubby.

I've cracked the casing on the old wall light (See pic of the old light and connections) and the wiring is confusing me. There are four wires coming out of the wall and the new light only has connectors for live, neutral and earth. Can anyone give me a quick and dirty answer on how I should wire this thing?

Please, no-one give me a 'bum steer' as I've got a pacemaker and an electric shock would do me in :eek:) J/K

I'm not at all versed with electrics and simply thought it would be a matter of matching the colours up - but the fourth wire and the colours being different has thrown me.

Can someone help an electrics noob?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Looks like you've got a permanent live and switch live as well. That would have allowed you to operate the existing light either on the PIR (comes on when people walk past) or by having the light on permanently by operating the switch. You've got 2 choices now. You can have the light either just on using the PIR or you can have it so you can switch it off completely. Does your new light have a pulse override mode? By that i mean if you switch it off and on quickly it goes in to an override mode where it stays on permanently until you repeat the previously mentioned operation.

Black is neutral
Brown is permanent live
Grey is switched live.

The black should have some blue sleeving on it and the grey should have some brown sleeving on it to identify the conductors properly.

The existing set up has a switched live connection wired into the house on the gray wire in the cable.

This may to feed another lamp controlled by the PIR or it may be to allow a switch inside the house to over ride the PIR and turn the lamp on.

Or it may do both.

The new PIR may not have a terminal for the earth wire and so is only three terminals. Neutral. Live and Switched Live. Use a separate terminal block to terminate the earth cable if there is no earth wire on the new PIR
[/wiki]

Looks like you've got a permanent live and switch live as well. That would have allowed you to operate the existing light either on the PIR (comes on when people walk past) or by having the light on permanently by operating the switch. You've got 2 choices now. You can have the light either just on using the PIR or you can have it so you can switch it off completely. Does your new light have a pulse override mode? By that i mean if you switch it off and on quickly it goes in to an override mode where it stays on permanently until you repeat the previously mentioned operation.

Black is neutral
Brown is permanent live
Grey is switched live.

The black should have some blue sleeving on it and the grey should have some brown sleeving on it to identify the conductors properly.

Thanks for the quick responses guys

Yes, I think it does have pulse override - I've just read the manual and it says the following:

"By turning the wall switch off and then on with 2 seconds, the lantern will remain on - the motion sensor can be reset back to Automatic Operation by turning off the wall switch for at least 10 seconds and then turning it back on"

Is this pulse override?

Oh, and the new light only has L/N & its own earth.

Cheers again lads

Sponsored Links
Yes that is pulse override. In which case connect the earth to earth (obviously) the black (with a bit of blue sleeving/tape) to the neutral of the fitting and the grey (with a bit of brown sleeving/tape) to the live of the fitting. The brown needs to be put in a block connector on it's own. Don't forget the switch needs to be in the on position for anything to happen.

:) Thanks again for your help and thanks to bernardgreen for diagramming my photo :D

You've both been more than helpful.

Cheers and have a great weekend

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back