Wiring has bare cable, but pendant doesn't?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, only I can't find the exact problem and solution - just other variations on the theme.

Could someone please reassure or advise if the following is safe?

1. I removed an old spotlight fitting. The wiring in the ceiling is one grey sleeve containing a red wire, a black wire and a bare (presumably earth) wire. The bare wire was never connected to the old light fitting, just left loose in the cavity
2. There is only one light switch to this light fitting - it is a simple circuit
3. I replaced the spotlight with a plastic ceiling rose and pendant. Inside, the rose has 3 blocks: blue wire, brown wire and "loop". I attached the red to the brown, the black to the blue, and pushed a yellow/green sleeve over the bare wire and wedged it into inside of the plastic
4. The light works fine. The pendant is all plastic, the lightshade is metal but doesn't touch any circuitry

5. Can somebody please let me know if this sounds OK? My only concern is that the bare wire (presumed to be the earth) is not connected to anything....

Thank you all

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Okay I didn't notice that.

But for the avoidance of doubt the earth wire needs sleeving even if it goes into a terminal, for identification rather than insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back