Wiring of wall lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I would like to get info as to my problems, I will explain.
I have a through lounge and dining room with a ceiling fitting in each room, I then have 4 wall lights in the Lounge, I must state this was the layout when I moved in the house in 1996, I have updated the lights to halogen spot 50w GU10 type. The issue is when I now turn on one wall light, the dining room ceiling light comes on even though it is switched of at the wall, when I turn 2 or more wall lights on the power drops to a glow, the living room ceiling light is not affected, I would appreciate any help.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Apart from the error which causes the dining room light to come on when its switch is "off" it sounds as if you have somehow managed to wire your wall lights in series with each other and that one of the control switches is actually wired across one of the lights

Apart from the error which causes the dining room light to come on when its switch is "off" it sounds as if you have somehow managed to wire your wall lights in series with each other and that one of the control switches is actually wired across one of the lights

Thanks for your input but I'm not sure what you mean by "in series" the wires from the wall are Black, Red, Earth, now I wired them Brown to Red, Blue to Black and wired the earth together via a plastic 3 connector.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
You need to tell us exactly what you worked on when you "updated" your lights and show photographs of the wiring connections of every switch and junction box that you worked on.

Otherwise we would simply be guessing at what you have done, because clearly you haven't yet told us the whole story

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back