Wiring Oven and Gas Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,
I wired an Electric Oven and a Gas Hob into the same socket under the worktop, which comes from one of those big Cooker Switces with a big red switch for the said socket and a 13 amp plug socket, now the Corgi man said it was against the Regs to do this, but he said i could put a plug on the hob wire and plug it into the 13 amp socket next to the Red switch, whilst the Oven was wired into the socket(underneath).

1, Is this so? and if it is whats the difference?.

2, Could i fit a double gang socket in place of the under worktop socket and plug them both in? save me drilling an hole through the worktop.

Thanks for any Help skes

Sponsored Links
The corgi man probably needs a way of isolating completely the hob for servicing reasons. Hard to say what you can do with your oven as you don't say what size the cables are or the current ratings of your oven/hob

The Hob is just for the ignition, it's an electric fan assisted oven dont know the power of the Oven at this moment but i will look for later.

Should you be worried that you wired the oven up without knowing what current it takes?

Sponsored Links
Not really, it was a proper cooker socket with a 30 amp fuse using at least 6 mil cable.

I had a look and it says Hob 100W and the oven 4000w 40A, any help?

skes said:
Hi There,
I wired an Electric Oven and a Gas Hob into the same socket under the worktop, which comes from one of those big Cooker Switces with a big red switch for the said socket and a 13 amp plug socket, now the Corgi man said it was against the Regs to do this, but he said i could put a plug on the hob wire and plug it into the 13 amp socket next to the Red switch, whilst the Oven was wired into the socket(underneath).
Just noticed this - are you really saying that the Cooker Control Unit supplies a socket, not a cable outlet plate? If so, is it a 13A socket??

2, Could i fit a double gang socket in place of the under worktop socket and plug them both in? save me drilling an hole through the worktop.
No - and if you have a socket there now, you should get rid of it,

skes said:
I had a look and it says Hob 100W and the oven 4000w 40A, any help?
Not really, as 4000W is 17.4A, and 40A is 9200W....

Sorry my mistake with the Terminolagy, it is a cable outlet plate not a socket,
So would it be ok to wire the oven into the Cable outlet and drill an hole through the worktop put a plug on the Hob cable and plug it into the Cooker Control Unit's 13 amp socket?

Thanks

Yup. Use the same size cable for the oven as is used to the CCU and outlet plate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back