Wiring Question: 1 light 2 door switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am adding a light to a wardrobe with supply from a FCU off the ring-main. In addition to a standard light switch, I plan to control the on / off function of the light with push to break door switches.

My question is what is the correct wiring for a circuit like this with two door switches and a single light?

Using a junction box, my understanding is that with only one switch the wiring would be as shown in the following diagram.

View media item 60491
When I add the second switch, is the following diagram correct (to allow the light to be operated by one or both of the switches)?

View media item 60492
Thanks

Sponsored Links
What is the point of the wall switch?

The PTB switches will not operate as a two way with the wall switch.

The wall switch is only for convenience to turn off the power for changing bulb etc (as FCU is another room).

My intention for the door switches is that if one or both doors is open, the light will be on; with both doors closed, the light will be off.

Your diagram will work.

I too question why you need the wall switch.
The swtch will only isolate the live and not the neutral.
The FCU will isolate both live and neutral.

In any case... How many bulbs do you expect to have to change? You'll probably have to walk past the FCU to pick up a new bulb..

Sponsored Links
What's the point of the wall switch?
I too question why you need the wall switch...
I can answer that from my experience. The FCU is inside the wardrobe, so the wall switch is for when you get up in the winter before it's light and your missus is still asleep. You can turn the switch off, open the door and fumble about in the dark for your trousers without waking her up. ;).... I know, because I had to add one later!

Thanks for the feedback - you've convinced me that the wall switch is not needed, although stem makes a good point!

What's the point of the wall switch?
I too question why you need the wall switch...
I can answer that from my experience. The FCU is inside the wardrobe, so the wall switch is for when you get up in the winter before it's light and your missus is still asleep. You can turn the switch off, open the door and fumble about in the dark for your trousers without waking her up. ;).... I know, because I had to add one later!

What, doesn't she have your clothes for the morning all neatly folded and ready for you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back