Wiring up a digital tv box with a DVD Player

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got to fit a Digital box up for my daughter. Problem I have is the the instructions only talk about wiring using a VCR. This shows that the aerial is connected in and out of the VCR. The DVD player does not have aeril conns. Due to this I cannot get the menu up on the TV to tune in the digital box. ANY HELP PLEASE.

Sponsored Links
Most digiboxes output via a SCART cable only. The aerial output connection is just there so you can daisy chain the aerial lead on to the VCR and TV so they can still recieve terrestrial broadcast. In other words the output from the digibox does not get sent out of the aerial out connector and you do not tune the TV or VCR in to the digibox(You just choose EXT1 or similar on the TV/VCR).

So you need a SCART cable, which you would normally connect to the second scart connector on the VCR (Assuming there is already a SCART lead from the VCR to TV)

Thanks for the reply. What I have is a DVD player only . No VCR is connected. I want to connect the digital box to the TV + the DVD player.

OK. Sorry, I assumed; And the mention of a VCR gave me the wrong idea. So you have a TV, a DVD player and a Digibox (I think).

The aerial cable will need to go in through the digibox and out to the TV. The aerial cable doesn't need to go near the DVD

If the TV has 2 scart sockets then connect one to the the DVD and the other to the digital box. If not could you explain how many scart sockets are on each appliance.

You do not need to connect the digital box to the DVD by the way. (Unless it's a DVD Recorder, or the TV only has one scart socket)

Sponsored Links
Hi mikeyd.

Thanks for the reply.

TV has one SCART skt, Digi box has two SCART skts.

What if I take a single lead from the TV with a twin SCART on its other end, and then plug the outgoing from the digi box into one skt, and the DVD player into the other SCART.

Do you think that will work? In other words will my daughter be able to watch TV when she wants, and a DVD when she wants with this configaration.

Yes that should work I assume you are talking about a scart adaptor ie scart plug one end and double scart scart socket the other end.If that is the case you have to make sure it is a fully wired two way scart adaptor as some are just one way configured (the cheaper ones) that is it will input at the plug and double output at the socket but will not vice versa.However you could try this
connect one scart lead from the digi box to the tv (probably the way you have it now) and connrect a second scart lead from the dvd player to the other socket of the digi box (normally marked "in" or "vhs" or "input" or "av2".Then when you switch your digi box into standby and switch your dvd player on you will be able to watch your dvd,s

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back