Wiring up replacement Satchwell TLX2259 Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My existing 25 year old Satchwell TLX 2259 room stat is playing up (no complaints after this length of service) and I ordered and received what I thought was a direct replacement. What arrived was a new Satchwell TLX 2356. At first glance it looks identical except the wiring inside is slightly different. I feel it should work but I don't know which terminals to connect the existing wiring. Can anyone help please?

The existing wires are Red to terminal 3, Blue to terminal 4 and Yellow to terminal 1. There is also a yellow/green earth wire connected to the backplate.

Sponsored Links
The numbers should be the same on your new one. If not then red is coming in to the stat, yellow is the switch going out from stat and blue is neutral.
Have a look at the wiring diagram. If it makes a loud pop when you switch it back on you did it wrong :unsure:

Thanks Jeff. That was my initial thought except when I examined the inside of new stat, terminal 4 is not used. Following your simple logic and tracing through the wiring, I suspect blue (neutral) goes on terminal 2. Just wanted to be certain and avoid the 'pop'.

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid it was the 'pop' alternative well, not quite. It blew the 3amp fuse in the main heating isolating switch. I don't feel inclined to experiment any further instead, I'm about to buy the correct stat, they're only £7.50 plus postage. Thanks for help anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back