Wonky door frame, impossible to repair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I pretty much noticed the door frame just after moving in. I have now replaced most of the new doors, all of which has perfect frames.

For some reason this particular door frame is not level. The top, and one side are completely out by over 1.5cm. It's more than noticeable to look at and more importantly not only does the existing door not fit, I really cannot see how I can fit a new one in the state its in.

I am considering attempting to remove the frame and refit. The trouble is will this bodge the wood ? I can't even get new framing because I'm sure I won't be able to match the material..

IDEAS/HELP/ADVICE PLEASE

Sponsored Links
I have run into the same issues when replacing doors. One process, the one that requires the least amount of work is to chisel or cut the low side of the frame. make it even by removing the low side then you can shim and play with the trim to cover any gaps. Don't know if it will work for you.

Sometime you can get away with it by using a hacksaw blade when taken architrave off and cut the fixings between the frame and the wall. Re-position the frame with new frame fixing. If you can remove the door stop, you could hide the screw head behind the door stop. Also check there's no electric cable hidden behind the door frame or architrave, it's amazing what some people do to hide the wire :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back